Do You Cook With Your Homebrew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been slow cooking an Irish beef and potato stew all day with my whiskey stout. The smell is currently intoxicating.

passedpawn said:
One thing that didn't work out is hop salsa. Just don't. My eyes said yes, my palate no. BTW, those are tomatillos in the top left bowl.

I've heard of bruschetta with some leaf hops being good but haven't tried it yet myself. I'll take your word on the salsa. My wife likes your outlet covers. Thanks for ensuring my job security ;)

You think if you used sorachi ace leaf hops it would have come out better? Was it just the taste that was off or did the pellets throw off the texture?

All the time. I have used home brew in brines, marinades, stews, roasts and sauces. I also had a chef friend take home fresh wort from a brew day to make a sauce for some seafood.

My wife likes your outlet covers. Thanks for ensuring my job security ;)

Thanks. I picked those out myself. Job Security?

You think if you used sorachi ace leaf hops it would have come out better? Was it just the taste that was off or did the pellets throw off the texture?

Texture was OK. I've never had sorachi ace, but I don't think it would have made a difference. The bitterness was severe. Less might have been better. BTW, I did NOT use all those pellets. Just a few is all it takes to ruin your salsa.

If nobody has said this yet:

Cooking with beer? Sure I do it all the time!!

Add it to the food? I'll have to try that!!

passedpawn said:
Thanks. I picked those out myself. Job Security?
Yes, now my wife will be picking out similar outlet cover which I will have to install to maintain my usefulness around here. In all seriousness though she will probably put them on because she likes to fancy herself the handyman around the house, which actually she is. I'm in charge of the exterior.

I've made beer bread a number of times using homebrew. I've found that higher gravity beers prevent the bread from rising as much. One time I was "forced" to make bread with a Scotch Ale because my last bottle of a Honey Ale went bad. That was some tasy bread, even if it turned out a little dense.

I'm just putting a ham, spices and hefeweizen in a slow cooker and wonder if anyone has used a pressure cooker for a similar combination. I've never used a pressure cooker and wonder if it imparts more flavor to the ham or if it just reduces the time required.

My wife the chef made 'Beeramisu' for Christmas with my coffee stout. It was awesome, but then, she also made her own ladyfinger cookies for it too....

We use beer in just about everything when cooking. One of my favorites is my smoke roasted rosemary garlic chicken brined in IPA. There are a few good books out that deal with flavor matching beer to food recipes. The one that we seem to keep going back too is Garrett Olivers "The Brewmaster's Table".

I'd love to see the beeramisu recipe. Sounds great.

I'm just putting a ham, spices and hefeweizen in a slow cooker and wonder if anyone has used a pressure cooker for a similar combination. I've never used a pressure cooker and wonder if it imparts more flavor to the ham or if it just reduces the time required.

In my experience with both, the pressure cooker reduces the time substantially.. Still, it's nice to put stuff in the crock pot in 5 minutes, turn it on and go to work/sleep, and when you get back, it's all done!

In my experience with both, the pressure cooker reduces the time substantially.. Still, it's nice to put stuff in the crock pot in 5 minutes, turn it on and go to work/sleep, and when you get back, it's all done!

If the pressure cooker doesn't improve the flavour it would just be an inconvenience in this case. The gas stove needs to be watched, although for a shorter time, while a slow cooker doesn't need anything but power.

I'd love to see the beeramisu recipe. Sounds great.
For woknblues, the Beeramisu recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/beeramisu-guinness-tiramisu-st-patricks-day.html

We used a simple coffee stout instead of Guinness, but anything in that range such as a nice milk stout or dry stout would work well. If you are handy with a pastry bag, you can also try making your own ladyfinger cookies.

Everyone that tasted it loved it, especially the non-beer drinkers :D

gl_az said:
For woknblues, the Beeramisu recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/beeramisu-guinness-tiramisu-st-patricks-day.html

We used a simple coffee stout instead of Guinness, but anything in that range such as a nice milk stout or dry stout would work well. If you are handy with a pastry bag, you can also try making your own ladyfinger cookies.

Everyone that tasted it loved it, especially the non-beer drinkers :D

Im so making this when my stout has a few months on it.

I'm going to make this chili this weekend. It looks good enough that I may start with a double batch.

I use my homebrew all the time in my bbq sauce. Usually an IPA, Pale Ale or sometimes a porter/stout. Pour self a imperial pint and play the "some for the sauce, some for me" game :drunk:

I had a saison that turned out sour and I've been using that to make BBQ sauce and it's been awesome. Soaked chicken wings in it and smoked em then smathered in more sauce and then grilled a quick minute came out delicious!!!

I've won an office chili cookoff 2 years in a row with homebrew in it! I also like to make beer cheese soup. I find Pale Ales work best in both.

To add to these:

I make braised beef with saison
use hefeweizen instead of stock in risotto
belgian golden in chili
brown ale/pale ale/mild in beer cheese soup
brats boiled in anything

the possibilities are endless

trumpetbeard said:
To add to these:

I make braised beef with saison
use hefeweizen instead of stock in risotto
belgian golden in chili
brown ale/pale ale/mild in beer cheese soup
brats boiled in anything

the possibilities are endless

How did the hefe risotto come out? That sounds interesting. And finally someone mentions brats. I think brats and browns go really well. But white hots cooked in honey brown is boss.

I'm eating beer bread at this moment that has 12oz of my lager in it. I also cook the hell out of some Wisconsin beer brats simmered in what ever I have on tap.

Made a Baked Ham with a Scottish Ale glaze on Friday, delicious:

sliced.jpg

More info on my blog (link below), but it was 12 oz Scottish 70/-, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup honey - mixed together and reduced slightly and added to ham halfway through cooking.

I'm trying the Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter that would be yummy with your ham glaze. Especially in my bbq pit! The vanilla is on the back like oaking to me.

Oh lord, this thread is awesome. :rockin:

Please keep your recipes/dishes coming.

Beer Brats seem like an easy way to bring beer in my food. After seeing all this stuff I might cave and use it occasionally to cook rather than drink.

I'm trying the Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter that would be yummy with your ham glaze. Especially in my bbq pit! The vanilla is on the back like oaking to me.

Off topic, but let me know how the Leinie is, I've heard about it but can't seem to find it around me.

On topic, once I really get brewing and the weather improves a bit, I'll definitely be using some for my bbq. I love me some pulled pork and brisket...

I've used homebrew in chili and roasts before and made a really nice blonde ale battered tilapia. I read somewhere recently about using wort in a brine recently that I think has the potential to be pretty awesome. I'll have to do more research and give it a try sometime.

Steak and ale pie with a good porter is pretty heavenly. After browning the steak and vegetables, add a bottle of porter (or just enough to cover the braise), a beef bullion cube, a bay leaf, some tomato paste and worcestershire sauce and simmer for 60-90 minutes. Top with a pastry crust and bake until golden.

How did the hefe risotto come out?

Way better than I expected! I used a bottle in a pinch when I ran out of stock. Was the closest thing to chicken stock I had on hand. I use at least a half a bottle every time I make it now. Haven't tried substituting all the stock for hefe yet, but it might make an interesting experiment.

Making rib sauce

Mustard and ketchup based huh? Interesting.

Steak and ale pie with a good porter is pretty heavenly. After browning the steak and vegetables, add a bottle of porter (or just enough to cover the braise), a beef bullion cube, a bay leaf, some tomato paste and worcestershire sauce and simmer for 60-90 minutes. Top with a pastry crust and bake until golden.

This almost sounds like the base sauce for ropa vieja or rabo encendido(oxtail). Sounds really good.

Way better than I expected! I used a bottle in a pinch when I ran out of stock. Was the closest thing to chicken stock I had on hand. I use at least a half a bottle every time I make it now. Haven't tried substituting all the stock for hefe yet, but it might make an interesting experiment.

I dont even know what to say, thats just awesome :rockin: I'm definitely impressed.

Mustard and ketchup based huh? Interesting.

Not based no, just a tsp or so of each. With the beer brown sugar and worcester sauce you only get the acidity of the two.

I never make the same sauce twice though a touch of dijon and at the very least tomato puree are staples in most of my pork bbq sauces.

Channel66 said:
Not based no, just a tsp or so of each. With the beer brown sugar and worcester sauce you only get the acidity of the two.

I never make the same sauce twice though a touch of dijon and at the very least tomato puree are staples in most of my pork bbq sauces.

Ok gotcha. I assumed when I saw them. On a slightly different note, have you ever made white BBQ sauce? I've done it a couple times, goes good on chicken. Not sure if mayo and beer mix very well though.

Ok gotcha. I assumed when I saw them. On a slightly different note, have you ever made white BBQ sauce? I've done it a couple times, goes good on chicken. Not sure if mayo and beer mix very well though.

maybe you could brush the chicken with a beer egg combo dredge with flour, Brown on the stove, finish with the white sauce in the oven? You wouldn't gain much from the beer though I don't think.

Can't say I'd try it on strangers but I'd make swmbo choke it down.

maybe you could brush the chicken with a beer egg combo dredge with flour, Brown on the stove, finish with the white sauce in the oven? You wouldn't gain much from the beer though I don't think.

Can't say I'd try it on strangers but I'd make swmbo choke it down.

I just about died laughing reading that last sentence, I'm adding that to my signature!! Back on topic, while I think it could work, I dont think the beer wouldnt be contributing enough to the flavor to make it worth it.

I've made pancakes from a dunkelweizen. It really brought out the banana esters.

I've also had some mishaps. I tried thinning out a bechamel with the dunkels, but that didn't go well.

My wife makes an amazing orange chicken with the witbier that we brewed (added orange and coriander so it gives that nice clean citrus note)

Back