Yeast starter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benco

Reaction score
Ok, I've looked on here and can't find the answer I'm looking for. Another dumb question, just made my first yeast starter and was wondering how often and how long do I let it run on the stir plate? I have access to a stir plate at work. Thanks!

image-1183257309.jpg

People generally use 24 hours. I don't think going longer will hurt it, but if the yeast has a longer lag phase then it might not finish in 24 hours. Basically once the starter wort is fermented then you know it's done. I bet 24 - 48 hours will be a o.k.

It really depends on the yeast. I have had starters go the same night I pitched the yeast, some starters took 3-4 days before they ferment out. By the looks of your starter fermentation is active. I would let it go until no more krausen is left, once it drops out the yeast are pretty much done at that point.

When it's warm (room temp >= 70F), I usually make my starters on a stir plate about 18 hours before pitching.
In the winter (room temp in the 60's), I give them an extra 24 hours.

-a.

I'm not saying this is best practice but I usually let my starter go for about 3 or 4 days and it's always worked for me. Once I went nearly two weeks and didn't have any problems. But again, that's probably not optimal.

From Wyeast's website:

Timing of Starter:
Because starters are inoculated at high cell densities, growth is usually maximized within 24-36 hours. The gravity of the starter should always be checked prior to inoculation into wort to assure proper cell growth . Cultures should be used immediately, or refrigerated for up to 1 week before using. Cell viability will decrease rapidly if culture are left at ambient temperatures for extended time.

I leave mine on for 24 hours, if I plan on cold crashing, decanting, and pitching at a later time I turn off the stir plate after 24 hours, then let it set at room temp for an additional 12 hours before putting it in the fridge. I read somewhere something about letting the yeast "settle down" for 12 hours, otherwise if you put in in the fridge right away you could stress the yeast. If you plan on pitching the whole thing while it's active I usually try and do it within a few hours after turning off the stir plate even if I have to leave it on there a few hours longer.

Making my first starter with a Erlenmeyer flask and a homemade stir plate.

Never really did see a lot of krausen but not sure if thats due to the vortexing of the stir bar or not.

Has been going for 48 hours and at first it smelled like fermenting wort but just took a whiff today and it smells sour. like as in sour milk.

I am prepping to brew a pliney clone so I dont want to screw it up and pitch this if its rotten.

What does everyone think?
thanks,
Matt

Matt,
It should be fine, my starters usually smell kind of sour too. With a stir plate you don't always get a krausen layer, but the color of wort changes to look lke light colored chocolate milk, kind of brown and thick from the yeast.

BTW, you don't want to leave it on a stir plate in warm temps for more then a couple days, yeast condition drops off. Depending on the yeast, I usually go a day on the stir plate, then cold crash & decant.
Regards,

Back