Ale Pail as a secondary? Why carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice to date.

I'm currently using an ale pail primary and a glass carboy secondary. I'm drinking/sharing faster than my one batch setup can handle. It is time to expand.

I'm curious why we even use carboys.

Could I just get a bunch of ale pails and use them as both primary and secondary fermenters?

They are just so cheap compared to glass or better bottle carboys.

Thanks again.

I think the main reason is to move to a smaller vessel. The smaller the vessel, the less headspace, meaning less chance of oxidation...

Soulive21 said:
I think the main reason is to move to a smaller vessel. The smaller the vessel, the less headspace, meaning less chance of oxidation...

DING! DING! DING! Tell him what he's won Bob...

You certainly could rack to another bucket. It likely would not present any problems provided that you follow your normal sanitation procedures.

BeehiveBrewer said:
...Could I just get a bunch of ale pails and use them as both primary and secondary fermenters?

I do it all the time.

If I were to add any more equipment, it would be buckets. Certainly makes dry hopping easier.

There are some questions about the oxygen permiability of HDPE buckets. Apparently they will allow oxygen in slowly so it's not ideal for brews you intend to secondary for more than 2 months for example.

Which is why I just secondary in the keg. 7 to 10 days in the primary and keg it. If it needs to clear, just put those kegs in the back so I don't pull them out for a couple of months. Plus kegs have handles built in, carboys don't.

It's not just oxygen permeability and head space (although those are HUGE reasons). It's also the quality of the seal and the ability to see how the beer clears.

I've thought about going straight to kegs, like jdoiv, and I might just do that on a beer I don't dry hop.

TL

TexLaw said:
…I've thought about going straight to kegs, like jdoiv...
It’s 30 degrees here now so my outdoors is my new unlimited crash cooler. I just racked my Munich Helles straight from the primary to the kegs (w/gelatin) and dragged em outside. It’s easier to forget about them out there and with a nice 29-24 degree temp range, they should clear up nicely without taking room in my kegerator(s)

Bobby_M said:
…so it's not ideal for brews you intend to secondary for more than 2 months for example...
You mean like me??? :D ;)

I really think people use glass carboys so they can watch the beer clear and take pictures. Buckets are more like ultrasound baby pics.

[Note: I don't have carboys OR babies.]

There is a Brewing Network show in their archives where they talk about carboys and buckets. In reviewing the pros and cons, one of the main drawbacks of buckets is that you can easily scratch the inside surface and create crevices where infection can live. Jamil went so far as to say that if you run your calloused hand along the inside of your bucket, you have probably made such a scratch.

The consensus was that buckets are fine to a point, but should be replaced often and retired to be used as grain storage, etc.

Carboys last a lifetime if you dont drop them.

There is a Brewing Network show in their archives where they talk about carboys and buckets. In reviewing the pros and cons, one of the main drawbacks of buckets is that you can easily scratch the inside surface and create crevices where infection can live. Jamil went so far as to say that if you run your calloused hand along the inside of your bucket, you have probably made such a scratch.

The consensus was that buckets are fine to a point, but should be replaced often and retired to be used as grain storage, etc.

teu1003 said:

I thought I was druck for a minute, I was seeing double...oh wait I am druck...anyhow, just use glass for your secondary...too druck to remember why, but that's what I decided was best after all my reserch...and I couldn't possibly be wronge. :tank: :tank: Where's that da*^ winking smiliey...ho there tit is..;)

Back