Pale malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppalarge

Reaction score
In an extract brewer, I've made some tasty beer using extract and steeping crystal Malts.

Can I steep with pale (none crystal) malt? Will it give me any enhanced flavour. I want a nice pale beer but can't seem to get pale speciality malts at my lhbs

In order to get any of the fermentable sugars out of pale malt, you need to mash it. It isn't really any more complicated than steeping, you just need to get the temperature right. Search partial mash here and you'll find lots of info.

If your beers are coming out darker than they should, you can try adding some/most of the extract at the end of the brew. All extract tends to darken as it boils.

Yeah I've been adding the extract at the end.

I've used crystal and Cara-aroma malts, both to great effect but they give me a deep amber colour. I'd like a similar flavour but a lighter colour. As I said I can't really get light crystal malt here

In addition to what Bill said, make sure you are using extra light dry extract for the lightest beer possible. Brew an American Blonde ale with no specialty grains, just base malt (extract) and hops.

Try some crystal/caramel 10L. I got a nice amber/orange color with that,4lb of American 2-row & carapils in my partial mash ale. The 10L should give a lighter color with light extract.

Using pale malt (if you mash it) is going to be very similar to adding more extract. It won't give you the flavor enhancements that you get with specialty malts.

-a.

Back