Please help me with the fizz!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristinaKombucha

Reaction score
Aloha from Hawaii, (where the Kombucha brews fast!)

After a bit of trial and error I think I am almost there with my kombucha in terms of taste.

But it does lack fizz, or at least fizz with some staying power. I capped them Saturday night, let them stay out all day Saturday night and Sunday and on Sunday they had perfect fizz. I refrigerated them, and today, Monday, they are flat. Is there any way to get the fizz back once they are capped?

Can anyone give me some tips on encouraging fizz? I am not using flip top bottles, just old GT bottles. I am not doing a second ferment. Do you think flip tops would be better for increasing the fizzy kombucha?

Thanks!

:drunk:

I had the same issue, fixed it by putting wax paper under the lids, seems to make a better seal keeping the fizz in.

If it's an issue of the containers not sealing adequately then yes you would need to address that. I've found adding some sweetener at bottling for secondary ferment is the guaranteed way to get good carbonation, otherwise it is extremely dependent on the residual sugar content in the kombucha at the time of bottling.

Small pieces of ginger in the bottle help to amp up the fizz, but definitely add a tad sugar or juice. Leave a little headspace and keep them out for 3 days before refrigerating.

I second Jambafish. Ginger does help with the carbonation, big time. I typically leave mine out 3-4 days in the counter in bottles with ginger before they go into the fridge & they've been great!

Ginger also tastes great in the second ferment. Right usually a few days is enough at ambient depending on the temperature it's at. This stuff will mellow out amazingly smooth in the refrigerator the longer it is there, I have had some bottles 8+ months old and they are just amazing.

Back