Help! Alcohol % to high!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starman3482

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm 9 days into my fermenting and realized I never measured the potential alcohol and when I did it read from 15% to 20% potential. Oh no that's to high what should I do, I'm told to stop fermenting and add the potassium sorbate? Thanks for any help!

How did you measure the potential ABV? Normally you get a gravity reading before fermentation and estimate the final gravity to be at 0.998 and use the two figures as to what the potential ABV is. If you post your recipe then we may be able to estimate your OG and give a rough ABV estimate.

It probably depends on the yeast you're using. Unless you were improvising, I don't know how you could have ended up with potential alcohol that high, as that would require a LOT of sugar.

If you DO manage to get the fermentation to stop now... it will probably be too sweet to drink. Better to let it finish.

And depending on your yeast, it will probably stop before it hits that alcohol content anyway. What yeast did you use?

I suppose you could try watering it down or using it as a mixer?

let it ferment and when its done stabalize it and add sugar and water

Back