Punk'toberfest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP029 Kolsch
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 @ 40F
Tasting Notes
Oktoberfest ale with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice
Grain Bill:
5.5 lbs. German 2-row Pils
4 lbs. German Vienna
1 lbs. German Light Munich
0.5 lbs. Breiss Carabrown 55L
15 oz. Libby's Pumpkin (canned) Dumped right into mash.

Single infusion mash (1.25 qts./lb.) at 154 degrees for 90 minutes.

I used Breiss Carabrown (55L) but in Beertools used British Crystal (55L) for the calculations... Couldn't find Carabrown on Beertools as it is a seasonal release.

Hops:
0.9 oz. Tettnanger (Pellets, 3.70 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.5 oz. Hallertauer (Pellets, 4.30 %AA) boiled 30 min.
0.5 oz. Hallertauer (Pellets, 4.30 %AA) boiled 15 min.

Spices:
1.5 tbs. Pumpkin Pie Spice (Add with 5 mins left in boil)

Ferment coooool as you can to give the Kolsch yeast a clean, lager character. After fermenting at about 68, I racked and threw it in the fridge for some cold aging. Didn't have a lot of time or patience though, but it tastes awesome.

A big plus is that I made this with a solid base. This Oktoberfest ale recipe is a mix-up of EdWort's/Biermuncher's recipes and techniques. The Carabrown is wonderful. Was hoping it might add graham cracker notes as the package suggests and it does. Great grain!!!

I have failed miserably at making my own spicing schedule for pumpkin beers in the past. But I nailed it this time. Not overpowering, nice and smooth. Do yourself a favor and just use the much-maligned McCormick's Pumpkin Pie Spice. It's easily obtained and it's the perfect blend. It's all I'll use from now on. I added it right at the end of the boil and I didn't need to add any more later.

Will make this every year!!!

labels_punktoberfest

I'm all over this! I'm not sure if it's the recipe or the label, love the Misfits (and the recipe looks quite interesting as well)

Ive been lurking on this forum for a while now just never had anything to add so I never created an account. I'm new to brewing and don't quite have the equipment for all grain - is there a way to convert this to a partial mash?

I've personally never done partial mash..but I have a friend who does. If someone doesn't post it before I get it for you I'll help you out. Cheers!

i have failed miserably at making my own spicing schedule for pumpkin beers in the past. But i nailed it this time. Not overpowering, nice and smooth. Do yourself a favor and just use the much-maligned mccormick's pumpkin pie spice. It's easily obtained and it's the perfect blend. It's all i'll use from now on. I added it right at the end of the boil and i didn't need to add any more later

lol.gif

UPDATE: This is absolutely the best pumpkin beer I've ever had.... homebrew, commercial or other. Great job with this one!

Thanks for the recipe! Here in spain the people dosent know this style of beer! I will try the next month!

Regards!

Do you think secondary is needed or do you think bring primary down to 40 would be good? I typically don't secondary which is why I ask.

h22lude said:
Do you think secondary is needed or do you think bring primary down to 40 would be good? I typically don't secondary which is why I ask.

Cold crashing down to 40 for a few days is probably good. Just be careful when you rack to keg/bottling bucket.

Can't wait until the Fall to make this again. Better start looking for pumpkin, as it's always scarce...

DubbelDach said:
Cold crashing down to 40 for a few days is probably good. Just be careful when you rack to keg/bottling bucket.

Can't wait until the Fall to make this again. Better start looking for pumpkin, as it's always scarce...

I'm thinking about making this soon to let it condition a little longer :)

Can this recipe be converted to Extract easily?

Vienna has to be mashed, but Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME which should be close enough. Use some extra light DME as the base, and you should be able to come up with something similar. Mess around with the numbers in BeerTools.com until you come up with something similar.

Not sure what you would do with the pumpkin though, I guess just steep them with the specialty grains? I've added them to the boil in the past too, but that gets messy.

I say go for it, and let us know what you find out.

Latest posts

Back