Apfelwein How Clear should it be? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croakersoaker

Reaction score
Hey guys how clear does my apfelwein need to be before i bottle.I can read large newspaper print(meaning Headlines and such)I stabilized and backsweetened about a week ago and it clouded up again briefly,but then started to clear up again.i can read the better bottle sticker thru the carboy is that clear enough or do i need to wait longer?

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

The correct answer is... however clear you want it. The longer it sits the more clear it will be. If you are a stickler for clear beer oo fermented applejuice then let it sit. If not, who cares? It will be delicious and that is what really matters.

The correct answer is... however clear you want it. The longer it sits the more clear it will be. If you are a stickler for clear beer oo fermented applejuice then let it sit. If not, who cares? It will be delicious and that is what really matters.

I completely agree when it comes to most cider, however, this being said - I can't imagine a cloudy EdWort's Apfelwein. It's juice and dextrose. I mean...leave it for 6 weeks and it's nothing but clear. I'd have to intentionally create a cloudy Apfelwein if I ever wanted to see one. Literally: bottling directly from primary, and only after shaking up the trub as much as possible to ensure I get a cloudy product. It's just not fathomable, IME, to get a cloudy product.

Ok I guess it should be crystal clear. I'll wait a few weeks longer. It's my first brew I guess I'm just an anxious to try it. Thanks for the input guys

With that much head space I would bottle sooner rather than later. YMMV

I bottle mine between 3 and 4 months then let it sit in the bottle for between 6-9 months depending on how low my stash is, this being your first brew you will not make it that long, but it will still be good.

I'd bottle that, if your going to carb it there is going to be a bit of sediment anyway. but i'm not a stickler for super clear stuff, although my last Graff which I rushed and bottled kinda hazy is crsytal clear fnow rom the bottle, and the yeast is so compacted at the bottom I don't think I could make it cloudy even with a crap pour

Back