Dry Stout Mash Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
working on a dry stout. using 1056. was going to mash at 150.

should i mash for 60 or 90 minutes u think?

had planned on 90 but worried might result in too dry?

Mash conversions take place in as little as 20 minutes. You can use tincture of iodine to test for starch. Place a sample of wort on a white plate and place drop of TOI into the puddle of wort. If it turns purple/black, there is still starch, and the conversion is not complete. Even with a dark stout, a puddle on a white ceramic plate should work with TOI. A 60 min mash is standard, because thats how our grandpappys grandpappy used to do it wayyyyy back in the day. Today, it may or probably may not be needed. I cannot see a 90 minute mash being needed unless it would be a traditional step mash (are undermodified malts even still available?). Imagine if you could save 30-60 minutes of your brew day, by mashing only as long as you need to, as indicated by the Tincture of Iodine. After the conversion, holding the mash serves no purpose.

I usually mash at 150, and found that I haven't got full conversion by 60 minutes sometimes.
I increased the mash to 90 minutes and always got full conversion, so nowadays I don't bother to check. The longer mash does lower the FG somewhat, but I've never found this to be a problem.

-a.

ya... i had it plugged in for 90 and decided to just leave it. i have the TOI so i'll just give it a check every 20 or 30 min to see where it is conversion wise. if it finishes earlier... that'll just be a bonus (time wise).

Back