How to best clean nylon hop-bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenners

Reaction score
So I've done some extract brews + some partial mash brews and I notice my hop-bag is getting harder to clean - it's definitely less white than it was when I bought it, instead it's a nice dull green...

And recommendations on how to best clean nylon hopbags & get them back to white?

Not sure they ever get back to white. Once I get most of the hop material out I then dunk in sanitizer that is left over and then hang to dry. Then store in a zip lock bag until next time. Then I sanitize again before use. You might also try boiling.

Hot oxyclean or PBW works pretty well. I have thrown mine in with the laundry before, but make sure you rinse it well with hot water and don't use a fabric softener.

Lately I have been thinking that I don't get the same hop utilization as with the muslin trow away types. I now only use the nylon ones for dry hopping in the keg.

Hot oxyclean or PBW works pretty well. I have thrown mine in with the laundry before, but make sure you rinse it well with hot water and don't use a fabric softener.

Lately I have been thinking that I don't get the same hop utilization as with the muslin trow away types. I now only use the nylon ones for dry hopping in the keg.

Your right the oxyclean would work great.

They don't need to be cleaned unless you wan to or unless you are using them for dry hopping in which case you can soak for a few minutes in starsan or bleach before rinsing and using. I clean mine up with good old H2O and call it good except for the dry hop use. You are afterall boiling them. I have had a couple that were so dark that I just decided to retire them. If you have not discovered the nylon paint strainer bags at Home Depot are the same thing you need to. Cut the elastic out of the top and melt the top to seaol the fabric if you want by running over a candle flame or just cut them and let them fray....you end up with them cosing less then a buck each.

Ok,here's how I clean my muslin hop/grain sacks;Untie the not in the end of the bag & dump spent hop material in a bowl as you turn the sack inside out.:eek: Then,rinse out under fast stream water in the kitchen sink. Take a small sauce pan & fill about half way with water. Dump sacks in it & bring to boil with a lid on. You don't want the pot to boil/steam dry while they're in there.
I let them boil for as much as a half hour. Maybe more if they're stained pretty good. Then pull them out with tongs & drain. Let'em cool down till you can squeeze them out with out burning your hands.
I have a small Tupperware container that's shaped like it'd hold a good sandwich to put them in with PBW to cover. Snap on lid & let it sit for a couple days,or till they start looking white again. Then rinse in fresh running water & squeeze out excess. Turn them right side out again & hang up to dry.
As some of you have seen,I hang them from the clamp on my desk lamp. Good spot. This always works,& isn't hard to do...:mug:

Have you tried throwing it in with your laundry?

That's what I usually do. Then if I am using it for dry hopping I will usually boil it in a pot of water for a while to sanitize it just before adding it to the fermenter.

I try to keep them away from the laundry myself,as she uses fabric softeners. And you have to use a certain type of detergent for front loaders,"HE" I think. My way isn't difficult,as the boiling & soaking does all the work. The boiling seems to loosen what is soaked in.

Yeah, I dry hop with them... I've been letting them soak in hot water, didn't think of using some of my cleaner! I'll give that a try after a good boil.

Yeah,the PBW soak gets them clean as tighty whities. The boil is good for getting some of the funk out,& loosens the rest so the PBW soak can do it's thing. Didn't get the same results without boiling 1st,though.

Back