Pairing with Pliny the Elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PirateBrewer

Reaction score
Upon returning to DC after a trip home to California, my roommate brought me a bottle of Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig. I'm interested in hearing some recommendations for food pairings with these beers. I looked on BeerAdvocate and saw general pairing ideas (i.e. grilled meats) but I'm interested in hearing your suggestions and possibly recipes! I appreciate the help!

I usually pair these beers with a comfy chair!

Just stay away from spicy foods, as they tend to mask hops flavor.

I figured that for a beer this celebrated and hard to get, I'd make myself a good dinner to have with it! I'll be sure to stay away from spicy...maybe I'll cook up a nice steak with it!

That's odd, I was going to say spicy foods go well with hoppy beers. To each his own I guess.

Definitely right about that! I've been reading various blogs, threads, and comments about people who have paired with Pliny..some people are saying spicy, I've heard others say Italian foods are good, and then the obvious like steak and burgers.

I don't think I've heard any good consensus. IIRC, Randy Mosher says to stay away from pairing hoppy with spicy in his book Tasting Beer. The reason is that hop acids actually make the hot burning sensation worse. Good for some, bad for others. On the other hand, Garret Oliver says to pair hoppy beer with spicier Mexican food. I guess it depends on if you are a glutton for punishment.

Well, I did exactly what I said I was going to do...drink it with some steak. I used a rub that was pretty mild and only added a little bit of spice. I definitely don't think it interfered much with the beer because that sucker (the beer) was as glorious as anything I've ever tasted!

Back