Copper pipe "safety" question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstatepike

Reaction score
I just picked up some copper pipe to build the manifold for my cooler mash tun. The only stuff I could find had product info printed in some sort of very permanent looking blue ink all the way down the pipe. Is this safe to use at higher temperatures when in contact with the mash? I just don't want something toxic to leech into the wort...

I am not sure what the ink is made of, ( it probably won't hurt you), but just remove it. You can sand it off pretty easy, or you could try soaking it in oxyclean, or PBW. I am sure it will come off that way too.

Excellent, was going to soak in oxyclean after cutting, but the lacquer thinner is a good idea. Thanks guys,

Actually, I took the dremel cleaning pads to it and ground everything off in no time. Easy as could be.

Okstatepike "Actually, I took the dremel cleaning pads to it and ground everything off in no time. Easy as could be." - Really??????

Just a paper towel and lighter fluid for me. Probably even rubbing alcohol would work. All but 2 seconds...

Back