What's all this white junk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went to bottle my second batch and found this:

100_0583.jpg

It wasn't there when I took a gravity two days ago, so does anyone know what it could be? Thanks.

-AJ

Yeah, it tasted just like it has before I noticed this. Also, it smelled funky when I sniffed in the fermenter, but when I took a sample from just under the surface and poured it in a glass, it looked and smelled fine.

I'd say rack from under it and hope for the best. I still think it is an acetobacter infection though. I wouldn't be surprised if it went sour on you.

I did end up racking it to bottling bucket and bottling today. If there's one thing I've learned from this forum, it's never dump your beer unless you're certain it's bad (verified by continuing as normal, tasting and aging). We'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks.

Edit: Found this in a search for acetobacter. Sounds like my culprit, but we'll see what happens. The area of interest is the Food and Nutrtion section.

I did end up racking it to bottling bucket and bottling today. If there's one thing I've learned from this forum, it's never dump your beer unless you're certain it's bad (verified by continuing as normal, tasting and aging). We'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks.

Edit: Found this in a search for acetobacter. Sounds like my culprit, but we'll see what happens. The area of interest is the Food and Nutrtion section.

Even better... Just do a google image search.

My entire setup had that infection this summer. It was lame.

Depends on the level of acidity you get from the bacteria. If its really low, the apricot might cover it, but if its anywhere from moderate to high, it'll be the other way around, the sourness will cover the apricot. What type of beer is it?

Do you think any sourness in the beer might be less pronounced since I added apricot extract right before bottling?

hmm. Maybe? I think it'll depend on when you drink it. The best thing about it being in bottles is that acetobacter is an aerobic bacteria, so with the lack of oxygen, it won't have much of a chance to develop further.

I think it'll be fine.

Depends on the level of acidity you get from the bacteria. If its really low, the apricot might cover it, but if its anywhere from moderate to high, it'll be the other way around, the sourness will cover the apricot. What type of beer is it?

He said he didn't really taste a sourness, so I think he's safe.

By the numbers, it's an ESB, but it doesn't really taste like one. That's why I just call it an Apricot Pale Ale.

hmm. Maybe? I think it'll depend on when you drink it. The best thing about it being in bottles is that acetobacter is an aerobic bacteria, so with the lack of oxygen, it won't have much of a chance to develop further.

I think it'll be fine.

Man, I'm glad to hear that. I hope it didn't progress much before bottling. Thanks.

Back