Protein rest in a 10 gal cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbster85

Reaction score
My buddy and I are brewing an IPA this weekend and we are going to use 6 row brewers malt. Yeah you can make great IPAs without, but we just want to try something new. We wanted to do a protein rest but have never done so, especially in a 10gal cooler. Is it as simple as two infusions before the sparge?

The first addition raises it to protein rest temps then add the necessary amount of boiling water to raise the mash to your desired sacrafication rest temp

Or you can do your protein rest in your brew kettle. Then transfer your mash to your mash tun for the sac. rest.

That sounds like a bit of work for a 5 gallon batch.

It really isnt. Anyway every once in awhile I like to do a decoction mash or a step mash. And I don't like to be limited by my equipment. So I just find a way to make due with what I have.

Add your water at infusion temp for your protein rest. Then either add the necessary amt of boiling water for sac rest or do a decoction. Both methods are pretty easy except a decoction requires stirring to prevent scorching. I've done both and personally I prefer the decoctions.

I use a calculator on brewers friend website. Input your numbers and it will tell you the amount of water and temp needed to raise to the next rest temp.

I've read today's malts are highly modified and there's really no need or benefit to doing a decoction mash. The most recent article was in BYO magazine, but I've read that in many other publications as well. If you have the extra time on brewday and like to experiment it's a great way to try something new to see what's involved though.

Yeah I have read that also. We just want to try something different this brewsday. So from what I've gathered I will just add water to bring my mash up to the protein rest temp, perform the rest, add enough boiling water to bring it up to sach rest temp and continue as normal. Correct?

Not much difference labor wise between bringing a certain amount of mash to a boil for a decoction and bringing a certain amount of water to a boil for an infusion. No benefit, just preference.

Back