Gravity still high after 9 Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MumbletonLane

Reaction score
For my second brew I'm doing the 5 gallon porter kit from Midwestern.

Brewed on 1/27 and pitched the included Munsons Dry Yeast, which I had rehydrated, when the wort was at 70 degrees into my bucket. SG was 1.044.

After 12 hours the airlock started bubbling, but that stopped after about another 12 hours. I know that lack of bubbling doesn't mean lack of fermentation, so I left it alone.

Gravity reading on 1/31 was 1.021
Reading on 2/3 was 1.019
Reading on 2/5 was 1.019

The thermometer on the bucket says it's sitting at 66 F. The recipe says that this should finish around 1.012. Should I be concerned or relax and drink yet another bottle from my last batch? (I'll do this anyway)

Thanks

Just relax. 1.019 isn't terrible. You still made beer :)

What does your grain bill consist of? Perhaps that will shed light on the problem.

Have you tested your hydrometer in water to gauge it's accuracy? I was always wondering why all my beers finished 3 points too high; turns out my hydrometer was off 3 points

If it was an extract batch you are probably finished fermentation. There has been a food number of posts of extract batches finishing around 1.020. My last extract batch finished at 1.018. If it was all grain what was your mash temp?

It was an extract. For what it's worth, I ordered the grains uncrushed and did my best to crush them with a wine bottle with middling results. According to the page http://www.midwestsupplies.com/porter.html 8 oz. Carapils, 8 oz. Black malt specialty grain

The darker grains got pulverized, but I don't think I was able to get a good crush on the carapils. Also, during the steep the temperature got up to 170

Warm it up a bit and swirl the vessel gently to rouse the yeast and give it another week and see if it moves

If not and the gravity sample smells and tastes good and it's clear, package it!

Back