Received Hallertau hops from Midwest - 7.2%AA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Is that right? I have three 1oz bags all the same AA % and I think that seems unusually high for German hallertau. I typically use 1oz of 3.8 - 4% in my hefes so this surprised me a bit.

Rev.

There are several Hallertauer types, with Gold being the highest AA at ~6. Yours seem awfully high. Looks like some changes to your hop additions are in order.

Yeah, I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow and make sure there wasn't some sort of error. I'd hate to use half the amount and have it turn out unbalanced.

Rev.

I just got a 1 oz bag of Hallertau from Midwest in a kit and it's 4.3%AA. I noticed that they don't specify origin on the bags, it would kind of help if they did.

I just got a 1 oz bag of Hallertau from Midwest in a kit and it's 4.3%AA. I noticed that they don't specify origin on the bags, it would kind of help if they did.

I know, they do say though on their page what origin it is and it does say Germany:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hallertau-pellet-hops-1-oz.html

Mildly annoyed because I have never ever seen Hallertau from Germany come out this high and if it's a mistake I'm not sure I can trust what the real AA is... and I'm brewing this weekend. Depending on what info I get from Midwest I may have to substitute with MT Hood, I have quite a few ounces of it.

Rev.

Give them a call and see what they say, in my experience their customer service is awesome!

Maybe you'll have some free appropriate AA hops coming your way!

Well, I spoke with their support staff and the guy went and checked with their hop guy. he said the number is correct and they are from Germany. He said he was told that had only one box or so come in with that high alpha percentage.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back