Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed today, finally had the time to do it. I wasn't able to find the specific amber malt needed so I mixed victory and C40 (I know I know I should have just ordered it online) anyway the color looked great and smelled amazing. Mashed at ~152 for 60 min, sparged at 170. Got a preboil of about 6.5 in the end had little over 5 in the fermentor. Starting gravity of 1.082 not sure what the efficiency calculation is but I'm happy with it. Was also unable to find amarillo hops (had no problem finding simcoe or warrior though odly) so I subbed with centennial figured it was a good substitute, would love to hear others opinions since I've never used amarillo before. Oh and Simcoe might be the best smelling hops I've ever opened, can't wait to dry hop with them.

I pitched two packs of S-04 around 8pm tonight and it's just after 1am and I'm getting bubbles. I'm also trying the fermentor in a bucket with water and an ice pack trick. Seems to be pretty good, it's hanging around 70 right now, I'll throw a fresh one in in the morning.

Try to keep that fermenter a little cooler if you can. 65 or so would be much better than 70.

Yea I decided to toss a fresh water bottle in last night before I went to bed, it's sitting around 65. Bubbling nicely.

Man S-04 is a beast after 24hrs it was exploding! A blow off tube is definitely needed for this recipe. Look at my airlock!

Also quick question, I usually only do 7-10 days in the primary depending on the gravity. This recipe calls for 2 weeks in the primary, is that really necessary? Or can I get away with just one week if the gravity's good?

IMG_0623.jpg

Scottland, I finished this batch long ago but you were right about the FG. I'll be making this again soon and I hope it finishes at 1.012 again. It was awesome.

Ya, I'm brewing a batch for a friend next weekend. I'll be brewing it with 1.25lbs Amber malt. I'll report back how it turns out.

I brewed this last weekend. It stopped bubbling a day ago so i put into secondary and dry hopped. What temp shoukd i keep it at now. Also, i should keep it in sec for about 2 weeks right?

Two weeks is optimal, as a big beer like this can use a little time, plus I find I get really nice hop aroma if I split the hop additions 5-7 days apart. Temp isn't critical at this phase. 50-80* (seriously)

Alright, I'm brewing it again friday night. 3QT starter of WLP007 is spinning away right now. Only change is 1.25lbs of Amber. We'll see how it turns out...

scottland said:
Alright, I'm brewing it again friday night. 3QT starter of WLP007 is spinning away right now. Only change is 1.25lbs of Amber. We'll see how it turns out...

I'm actually doing the same thing. only a 2L starter on a stir plate because that's all I have. My wife and I love 90 min. but they no longer distribute to my area anymore. I'm using the 1.25 amber as well but I had to sub zythos instead of amarillo. I don't really know if that was a good idea or not but we'll see what happens!

Kegged this up today. Used 1.25 lbs TF Amber (have 18 lbs of this got to love group buys). Hydro sample aroma and taste were just awesome. Could have easily drank a pint of this warm and flat. Looking forward to the final product. Will do a side by side with the real thing. To the OP thank you for sharing this recipe. :mug:

Well my keg finally kicked last night:(. I really enjoyed this recipe and will be brewing it again very soon.

^ Agreed. Bottled mine two days ago and Will brew it again sooner rather than later. Outstanding brew! Much props to the OP and all who've contributed. Slainte!

Just bottled mine yesterday, i was sorely tempted to drink more than the incomplete bottle at the end. I lost a lot of volume to trub and clogged my bottling wand once, but it was still well worth the extra trouble.

Also I made a small beer by running another ~4 gallons of sparge water, adding 3 lbs of dme, an ounce of motueka hops (1/2 60 mins, 1/4 20 mins, 1/4 flameout), and topping off to 4.5 gallons. OG was 1.055, FG 1.015 and it tasted pretty good at bottling.

Has anyone brewed this with wlp001? I have about 40 minutes left on the boil, and can't decide between that, or 2 packs of S-04.

Which would be better?

Just dryhopped my second batch of this. Boil hops were the same but I ran out of Amarillo so I subbed Centennial in the dry hop. Smells unbelievable.

Has anyone brewed this with wlp001? I have about 40 minutes left on the boil, and can't decide between that, or 2 packs of S-04.

Which would be better?

They will both make a good beer, but I personally would use the S-04 just because it will taste closer to the real thing than Cal ale will.

I made this on Sunday and pitched the yeast Monday. I was off on the og, 1.071, but the yeast is a beast. It went from a small layer of foam around 10 last night to a blow off coming out of the air lock at 7:30 this morning!

Cracked open my first bottle and holy crap.. there aren't words, I mean really delish. Wasn't an exact clone, seeing as how I couldn't find the amarillo hops and used centennial but I'm still happy as hell.

Really a kick ass IPA, definitely plan to brew it again in the future. Thanks for all the advice

Just ordered all the ingredients to do this one again. Got a pound of Amarillo so I'll be brewing this one alot lol. I wish I could fine simcoe in bulk!

Scottland, did you ever brew this again? Curious how it came out with the added amber malt.

Has anyone compared their beer with a recent "bottle" of 90 minute? Cuz the bottled product is rather sweet and this recipe will not produce that sweetness on it's own.

The draft product of course tastes completely different in my experience. Are they using maple syrup as the priming sugar in the 90 minute product?

My 2 cents: My first attempt came out at 1.012; tasted nothing like DFH. But it was great. My most recent one finished at 1.020 and tastes underattenuated and sweet to me, kind of like how I remember finding the real thing fresh. But it's been a little while since I've had the real thing.

Has anyone compared their beer with a recent "bottle" of 90 minute? Cuz the bottled product is rather sweet and this recipe will not produce that sweetness on it's own.

The draft product of course tastes completely different in my experience. Are they using maple syrup as the priming sugar in the 90 minute product?

It will, you just have the adjust the mash temp for your system. It'll finish out between 1.016 and 1.020. It's pretty much dead on.

On my system, 150*, and it turns out like the beer does on draft, or fresh from the bottle. If the bottle is over a month old, it does taste different.

I recently did this beer and it was the first big beer I did with my current set up. I didn't account for the efficiency hit that comes with big beers, usually I'm in the 77%-80% but with this large of a malt bill I was down to 62%. Which I got an og of 1.072. It fermented down to 1.017. So we'll see how it turns out. Smells great though. Thanks Scott.

I recently did this beer and it was the first big beer I did with my current set up. I didn't account for the efficiency hit that comes with big beers, usually I'm in the 77%-80% but with this large of a malt bill I was down to 62%. Which I got an og of 1.072. It fermented down to 1.017. So we'll see how it turns out. Smells great though. Thanks Scott.

I did the same things, but had just enough light DME on hand to get my OG up to 1.080.. Last time I checked gravity was about 10 days ago and it was between 1.017 and 1.018. I decided that was good enough for that time and added the first 2 oz of dry hops right to primary, and brought the temp up a few degrees to try and get it to attenuate just a bit more.

Tonight I racked to secondary to add the second set of 2 oz of dry hops. After another week, I'll check the FG, rack to keg, and carb it up! Then try to make it last for a few weeks.... or just get wasted from having a big delicious beer on tap. :drunk:

The bottles available here in the Tampa area are about 2-3 months old. They are rather sweet, the TF Amber is predominate after the sweetness and the hops are hard to detect.

Read that this is a bottle conditioned beer, wondering what the sugar agent is. Maybe they are using too much sugar?

Finally, obtained a 120 minute bottle [2012 B 16:19] to compare. Was a let-down compared to the 90 minute.

BTW: How did the batch with 1.25/lb of TFA turn out?
Great thread, lots of good info.

Just wanted to share what I had last night:
IMG_20120502_204528.jpg

I told my SWMBO that I was needing it for research purposes... :)

Now I'm motivated to brew this so I can drink it at a third of the retail cost. :mug:

I just need to get my hands on the Amber malt. I think this question has already been asked, but: Could I use the Amber malt from Crisp instead of TF? They are both from the UK...

Just checked their website. They have some in stock. Thanks! But I was really hoping to not have to pay for shipping.

I'll have to check with my LHBS to see what kind of Amber he has or if he can order some.

But is there any real difference between the Crisp and TF Amber Malts? Enough to only want/use the TF?

About 3/4 of the way through the thread, you guys were talking about that "raisiny" flavor that we all love...

I'm going to brew this in the next week or two and add Special B to the grist. Probably about .5 - .75 lbs.

Thoughts?

My opinion is to use just a few ounces of Special B. Maybe about 4Oz at the most.
It's rather powerful and adds to the SRM very quickly. How much Amber malt are you planning to use?

I picked up some Special B for my next batch as well. Thinking of 1 1/2lbs of TFA and .25 Special B.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Back