BJCP Style Guidelines update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
So I was flipping around the 2008 BJCP guidelines and found myself wondering when these are usually updated. I ask because I feel like there are a lot of styles that are becoming common but don't have their own style, leading to mis-entered competitions and frustration in numbers-jockies (yours truely.)

If anybody knows if an update is in the works, that's awesome. Otherwise this thread can be used for speculation.

I'd really like to see Black IPA (a.k.a CDA/IBA/IDA) and Kentucky Common.

What is Kentucky Common? I'm not familiar with that one.
Well, it's dang tasty, I can tell you that much. HBT wiki can help:

Kentucky Common

In the area around Louisville, Kentucky, in the years before Prohibition, a distinctive style of dark ale was popular. Referred to at the time as Common Beer, a term which was also used in other areas to refer to Cream Ale and other beers, or sometimes as Dark Cream Common, it is now generally called Kentucky Common, the term used in the Wahl-Henius Handy Book.

Kentucky Common was made with was usually made with about 75% malt and 25% corn grits or sugar. The grist included 1 to 2% black malt and sometimes also 1 to 2% crystal malt per barrel. Also, , and a small amount of brewers caramel was sometimes used. There is some evidence that partial sour mashes were used to lighten the body - 2% lactobacillus to the yeast. Like cream ale, it was consumed fresh, usually as draft beer. In 1913 it was estimated that 80% of the beer consumed in Louisville was of this type.

Although now largely a defunct and forgotten beer style, it is occassionally brewed by American microbreweries, including the New Albanian Brewing Company in New Albany, Indiana.

OG: 1.040-1.050
FG: 1.010-1.015
IBU: 20-30
SRM: 10-23

I believe I was told that new guidelines aren't slated for a couple more years. CDA / bIPA would be great. Seems like 50% of the category 23 beers are CDAs. I'd also love to see an 'American Wild' category. Right now, there really is now good category if you're doing some sour stuff like the guys at Russian River, Jolly Pumpkin, Allagash, etc. are doing.

It seems like a lot of folks are making "Quadrupels" these days too...

Whippy said:
It seems like a lot of folks are making "Quadrupels" these days too...

Yeah, maybe they should add a new sub category to 18

I believe the BJCP updates categories when there are enough people making posts on HBT asking this very question.

Or, when Jamil gets around to it lol.

Azurecybe said:
I believe the BJCP updates categories when there are enough people making posts on HBT asking this very question.

Yup

This is a great series of blog posts on some of the "Missing Bjcp Styles."

Oh fyi, when I formulated my Kentucky Common recipe I talked to O'Daniel on here who's research into that style is what is most quoted and referred to about the style. He admitted to me that he may have mis-interpreted the source material, and that contrary to what he originally thought and many have perpetuated, the Kentucky Common may NOT in fact have been intentionally soured, soured versions may have existed, but that had more to do with poor sanitiation and brewing habits then a planned part of the style.

Mine is unsoured, and has rye in it for a nice tartness/spiciness.

Back