George Washington Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clearwall

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some assistance from some more seasoned brewers than I. Im trying to find a home brew version of George Washington's Porter recipe. The only thing I can find on Google is the actual transcript of the recipe, but it appears to be a HUGE batch size(30 gal) and im only setup for 5 gals. Has anyone heard of this and has a grain bill & recipe or can someone translate this into one?

Take a large Siffer [Sifter] full of Bran Hops to your Taste.
-- Boil these 3 hours then strain out 30 Gall[ons] into a cooler put in 3 Gall[ons] Molasses while the Beer is Scalding hot or rather draw the Melasses into the cooler & St[r]ain the Beer on it while boiling Hot.
let this stand till it is little more than Blood warm then put in a quart of Yeat if the Weather is very Cold cover it over with a Blank[et] & let it Work in the Cooler 24 hours then put it into the Cask
-- leave the bung open till it is almost don[e] Working
-- Bottle it that day Week it was Brewed."

think old georgie ever thought 300 and some years later we'd be tryin to understand his chicken scratch?

i love historical brews. its my "new" goal as a brewer.

can anyone help with this brew?

Well he was a pretty sharp tack with tremendous foresight(stepping down after 2 terms, refusing a noble title, etc), so I assume he knew that everything he wrote would be held with some esteem by posterity.

I like your idea of brewing historic recipes. What do you have on hand?

There are a lot of threads on this brew. Yards Brewing makes a version of this, but took plenty of liberty with the original recipe. They said that the amount of molasses in the original recipe made it pretty disgusting.

BrewThruYou said:
There are a lot of threads on this brew. Yards Brewing makes a version of this, but took plenty of liberty with the original recipe. They said that the amount of molasses in the original recipe made it pretty disgusting.

Can you link? i searched the forums using the icrap app and didnt find one.

Well he was a pretty sharp tack with tremendous foresight(stepping down after 2 terms, refusing a noble title, etc), so I assume he knew that everything he wrote would be held with some esteem by posterity.

I like your idea of brewing historic recipes. What do you have on hand?

2 different versions of t.jefferson ale, next up is poor richards ale, and a 1776 porter.

brewing outside over an open fire is on the list for next spring/summer.

1ratdog said:
2 different versions of t.jefferson ale, next up is poor richards ale, and a 1776 porter.

brewing outside over an open fire is on the list for next spring/summer.

Would you mind sharing the recipes?

I found through some searching,something that in colonial slang was called "whiskely". Stout,or it's pre-cursor,porter,even dark ales were aged in used bourbon barrels for a time. Whiskey beer,or whiskely as it was called up to prohibition. Some old timers still talk about making it.
So I used a cooper's dark ale can,3lbs of Munton's plain amber DME,& some hops to brew a dark ale. Soaked 4oz of medium toast French oak chips in 5 jiggers of Beam's Black for the whole ferment time in a plastic container in the fridge. Racked the dark ale onto them,liquid & all,for 8 days. It's been aging in the bottles about 7 weeks now.
It already had a smooth,dark malty/bourbon flavor. But it needed more time to carb & round out a bit more.

I found through some searching,something that in colonial slang was called "whiskely". Stout,or it's pre-cursor,porter,even dark ales were aged in used bourbon barrels for a time. Whiskey beer,or whiskely as it was called up to prohibition. Some old timers still talk about making it.
So I used a cooper's dark ale can,3lbs of Munton's plain amber DME,& some hops to brew a dark ale. Soaked 4oz of medium toast French oak chips in 5 jiggers of Beam's Black for the whole ferment time in a plastic container in the fridge. Racked the dark ale onto them,liquid & all,for 8 days. It's been aging in the bottles about 7 weeks now.
It already had a smooth,dark malty/bourbon flavor. But it needed more time to carb & round out a bit more.

sounds yummy.

I put 2 bottles in the fridge on day 29,a couple days ago. The qualities I described in the previous post was day 22. I found that folks say the French oak/bourbon combo mellows to an oaky vanilla sort of flavor @ 7 weeks or so. Have to try some & see. Not to bad that it's also 5.9%...:cross:

I put 2 bottles in the fridge on day 29,a couple days ago. The qualities I described in the previous post was day 22. I found that folks say the French oak/bourbon combo mellows to an oaky vanilla sort of flavor @ 7 weeks or so. Have to try some & see. Not to bad that it's also 5.9%...:cross:

keep me posted. i love oak/bourbon

I'm hoping my wife will try one with me later today. I'll have to add it to my brew notes as well. Gotta keep plenty of notes...We'll know later. If it eventually comes out good,I'll post the recipe on my profile.

Would you mind sharing the recipes?

poor richards ale (from internet)
8lbs marris otter
2lbs flaked corn
.375 lbs molasses
.75 lb biscuit
.25 lb special b
.125 lbs chocholate
OG 1.060
1.25 oz EKG@75mins

1728 wyeast

i assume this recipe is for 5 gallons, doesnt say and i havent ran it thru my recipe calculator yet

thomas jefferson ale (from BYO magazine jan-feb 2002)
10lbs pilsner malt
5lbs malted wheat
1lb crystal 60
.25 lb chocolate
1.5oz EKG
1388 wyeast
---single infusion 155-158 60-90mins
add half hops at boil and half at 5 mins before flameout

thomas jefferson ale (from the homebrewers recipe guide by patrick higgens)
5 gallons

6lbs 2-row
4lbs wheat
1lb mollasses
1.5oz EKG bittering
1 oz EKG aroma
1 american ale yeast

1776 porter (from radical brewing by randy mosher)
5 gallons

4.5lbs engish pale malt
4.5lbs biscuit/amber malt
4.5lbs brown malt

3-4oz fuggle or golding (55-70 IBU)
.25oz licorice root,ground
.25oz brewers licorice

what yeast???? doent say

hope this helps

Back