First Pale Ale - Any recipes or ideas? Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm beginning my first AG recipe. I'm hoping it works out OK. I want to goto my local brew shop and buy ingredients. I hear that AG is alot cheaper.

I made an extract brew of an IPA which was great tasting and only 19 bucks a batch.
How much can I pay for an AG pale ale?

Are there any good recipes for AG IPA ales? Thanks so much.:rockin:

britishbloke said:
Hi all,

I'm beginning my first AG recipe. I'm hoping it works out OK. I want to goto my local brew shop and buy ingredients. I hear that AG is alot cheaper.

I made an extract brew of an IPA which was great tasting and only 19 bucks a batch.
How much can I pay for an AG pale ale?

Are there any good recipes for AG IPA ales? Thanks so much.:rockin:
I think an AG pale ale can cost between $10 for one with dry yeast and bulk grain pricing to over $20 for small quantities and more specialty grains/hops with liquid yeast. Expect to pay $15-$20.
I agree you got a good deal on an extract recipe for $20. Most extract IPA recipes I've seen price out $30-$40 or more.

Craig

Give my Haus Pale Ale a try. It costs $18.77 per batch from AHBS

8 lbs. 2-Row
2 lbs. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L
2 oz. Cascade

1.0 oz Cascade at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade at 5 min.

Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast Hydrated with a pint starter.
Two weeks in a Primary, Keg and let age for 1 month.

Very tasty.

HausAle1.jpg

Hi Britishbloke,

HERE is a very nice single hop IPA recipe from a UK forum. I'm drinking mine now and the Amarillo hop is fantastic.

Cheers,
Matt

From my limited all grain recipes ive looked up, EdWorts looks like it doesnt have much grain.

The recipe I have from the Midwest DVD is a pale ale with 20lbs of grains.

I might try Ed-Worts though as I liked the apfelwein

Ed-Wort. Im making a slight change to one batch. Put a gallon of Orange Lemon pinapple in. Hopefully it makes it taste more complex. :mug:

Thanks.

britishbloke said:
From my limited all grain recipes ive looked up, EdWorts looks like it doesnt have much grain.

Ed-Wort. Im making a slight change to one batch. Put a gallon of Orange Lemon pinapple in. Hopefully it makes it taste more complex. :mug:

Thanks.
Ummm. That must be a 10 gallon batch recipe.

20lbs of grain in a fiver and your gonna have a gravity around 1.109 with a 11% ABV...

Not that there's anything wrong with that....:cross:

britishbloke said:

Thanks.
20# of grain in a 5 gal batch is going to give you a huge beer. Thats high end of Imperial IPA. Ed's recipe is a nice 5+% ABV beer. Something you can drink a couple.
[edit] BierMuncher beat me to it.

Craig

Back