Wyeast Uh-Oh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0leman22

Reaction score
Ok so I started my second batch today. Everything went to hell in a hand basket. The biggest problem I found was when I went to pitch the yeast. I used a Wyeast smack pack. I smacked it about 7 hours before I pitched but apparently one of the pouches within the pack was not "smacked" enough.

I don't know if it was the yeast or the nutrient but it ended up down the sink (don't ask). so which of the packs is the yeast and should I pitch more yeast now or just wait a day or two and see how the fermentation goes?

I figured it was. What was left in the pack had a golden color and was pretty clear. What was pitched was cloudy like (I think) yeast is supposed to look like. THAT explains why the smack pack didn't get as fat as I expected.

Thanks for the help.

I smack and shake the **** out of my smack packs, and still usually have some of the nutrient left in the inner pack. It will be fine.

read the back of the packets...

they dont HAVE to be smacked at all. That little pouch is just yeast nutrient to get the yeast started quickly so they're ready. It's basically like making a starter (though not as efficient as an actual starter).

I'm not sure what else happened to it that caused you to dump it.. but you wasted seven bucks for nothing..

worse things have happened so dont worry about it and learn from it!

:mug:

To clarify, breaking the inside pouch and having the pack swell, only verfies that the yeast inside is still viable. It does not increase yeast cell count to any noticable extent. To get to a proper cell count, you must make a starter. Most likely, unless your OG was very low, you underpitched. Don't worry, it is what it is, you'll still make beer. Do some reading here http://www.mrmalty.com/ your beer will thank you.

Back