Calculators!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
Is beersmith ap/desk top software worth the money or is there a website that has GOOD free calculators?

About to do first all grain batch and need some helpful calculators

Thx

IMO BeerSmith is worth it. You can get a free trial to play with before deciding.

The others mentioned are good as well, kind of have to see what works best for you

I love BrewSmith. Do the free trial on your first batch recipe.

Be sure to check out all the features. It figures your strike volume and temps to achieve your desired mash temp, even adjusting for your own MLT specs. It tells you your sparge volume. You can use it to scale a recipe effortlessly. I had trouble at first hitting my numbers or over sparging and having too low OG and too high volume, and it was great to use to figure out where I should expect my batch to end up (ABV, IBU, color, FG) and whether I was still within the style parameters. You can even track your inventory and calculate your cost per batch, if you're into that sort of thing. It is very flexible. Well worth the money!

I used BeerCalculus when it was on Hopville.com. It worked well. It was bought and changed some by Brewtoad I do not like the new layout as much.

Beersmith is more complicated but gives a lot more control and details. It takes a bit of a learning curve to use it but I think it is well worth the $$.

Hey,if an old brewdog like me can learn to use Beersmith2,then anyone can. It's pretty in-depth,but helps a lot in every aspect of the brewday. Even has a page for notes on every recipe. That's handy. Then there's My Equipment,where you set up kettle size,brewing style,etc. You can also add fermentables,hops,& adjuncts to the respective lists. Def way worth the one time fee.

I have it and think it is great software but some what over kill for extract brewing. Ian's spreadsheet on AHB is a LOT easier to use

This question comes up a lot. I personally would not brew without using BeerSmith. It makes it easy to formulate recipes, scale recipes, calculate & adjust bitterness, etc. etc. etc. You can play with the free trial version and then buy it for less than a batch of beer will cost you.

Back