The better yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dochockin

Reaction score
I live in an area with limited selection for homebrew ingredients, and being in Canada shipping (especially across the border) is crazy expensive or impossible. Perhaps, with time and experience, I'll start raising my own yeasts or befriending a brew pub brewmaster an hour south of home. At this point, however, I'm stuck with whatever dry yeast packs I can find in the shops.

As a newbie brewer, which brands of dry yeast are the better ones, and which brands should be avoided at all costs? FWIW, I'm a North West style IPA fan, and will stick to brewing IPAs for the foreseeable future.

Cheers!

I normally use liquid yeast and the only dry yeast I have used is Safale us05 and Saflager S23 and both are excellent. US-05 makes a great Centennial IPA.
You can always harvest yeast from some of your favorite craft beers, I do that a lot.

Safale S-05 is one of my favorites. Folks say it is the Chico Strain (Same as WLP-001 & WYEAST 1056 which are both liguid)

Nottingham if you can ferment at lower temps (60-65) this a high and fast attenuation that has great flocculation properties.

Safale S-04 is a favorite for a lot of people, but I had one bad experience with it, but definitely my fault as my ferm temps where too high. I will use again but will definitely keep my temps real low.

Back