Kegging System Start Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman917

Reaction score
Just a general question... I'm looking to start kegging instead of bottling. If I wanted to buy an entire keg system how much am I looking at spending? Kegerator and all. Basically, if you could buy a system with everything you'd need and for operation and convenience, what would you get? Is it difficult to set up and maintain? I'd probably want to go with at least a 5 gallon keg, maybe two. Thanks in advance. I'm very new to this part of home brewing and am curious about start up and looking to avoid any pit falls.

I started looking at Craigslist when I got interested in kegging (and interested in saving my back, too...). I scored a reasonable Danby kegerator with a single tap tower, a 15 gallon keg & a 5 lb. CO2 bottle for about $230 (the Danby itself sells for $500+ new). Of course, it all depends on your location & how many people are actually selling their homebrew stuff, but you can save a ton of cash by looking locally first. You should also check your LHBS and see if they have any for sale or if any of their customers are selling one.

I got my kegerator a couple months ago from Amazon for $350. I had also ordered a kegerator kit from keg connection, which included a tower, lines, keg, tank, & regulator. It was a really good sale price, and I ordered a second keg.

I installed the kc components in the fridge without really looking at the tower and lines that it came with.

Now that I want to build a trash can kegerator for camping, I saw that the original stuff was for Sanke keg, and pretty cheesy. LHBS guy swapped out lines and connectors for me, but there's a nasty leak in the regulator. I'm so glad that I got the stuff from kc.

One thing I'd do differently is that I'd get a two-faucet tower setup and a third keg.
If you buy new rather than CL, maybe $600.

Buying a full done setup, at least $500-600 minimum. You can save some bucks looking for used equipment on CL or even building your own Kegerator/Keezer.

I still CL buys all the time, I have just about everything off of it. I bought 10 ball kegs for 300usd not to long ago.

I finished my keezer project a couple months ago. I have right about $500 in it.
A new kenmore 7.2 freezer
3 perlick faucets and shanks with tail pieces
beer and gas line
tap handles
3 way manifold
Duel gauge regulator
5# co2 tank
Wood to make collar and base with casters
2 5 gallon ball lock kegs

I just finished my keezer last night and will keg my first batch tonight. I got a 5.0 cuft of CL, a two tap system w/ Perlicks from Beverage Facotry, four Pepsi kegs from CorneyKeg.com (they are local to me), built a temp controller with an ebay aquarium controller. I'd say that I have ~$450 in the two tap wall mounted system.

i just got midwests dual regulator 2 keg system for about $200 and a fridge for the garage off craigslist for $80. I will eventually add another keg and faucets.

it's been great so far! saves lots of time.

I built a three tap apartment size fridge kegerator. Simply awsome! It's like having a brewpub in your house. In total it ran about 600-700$. It was worth every penny.

Back