Fruity apple smell after 3 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just been and purchased the coopers DIY beer kit tonight and have made the coopers lager kit that came with it as soon as I got home.

I followed the instructions perfectly as far as I can tell and there's some movement within the fermenter but already after 3 hours there's a fruity appley type smell coming from it, is this normal?

I'm completely new to brewing and this is my first batch so please excuse any silly questions.

Ali

Depending on the yeast used, yes, it is completely normal. Congrats on your brew. Don't touch it for a few weeks.

Wow that was a fast reply!

Thanks for the advice, I'm glad it's normal I'll leave it alone now to do its thing :)

The yeast I used was the one that came in the tin, I've literally just brewed the kit that came with the package and not added or taken anything away so fingers crossed my first batch is a success

Ok it's not looking bad I don't think, my only question is that all of the white stuff at the bottom shown in one of the pics here, is that normal or does that mean I haven't stirred the dextrose in enough?

image-3482339573.jpg

image-4021094852.jpg

alimacoz said:
Ok it's not looking bad I don't think, my only question is that all of the white stuff at the bottom shown in one of the pics here, is that normal or does that mean I haven't stirred the dextrose in enough?

How long has it been in the fermenter?
If it's more than a week it is the yeast who has settle down.

It has been in there since last night so a total of about 19 hours so far, does that look OK?

Thanks for that i will move it tonight out in the garage, it could have cooled down by now a little anyway as our temperatures have just fallen here today so hopefully by the time i get home it'll have cooled off a little.

This is only my first brew but already i'm learning heaps, thanks for all of the advice everyone.

alimacoz said:
It has been in there since last night so a total of about 19 hours so far, does that look OK?

I'm not an expert but normally it should not stay like that at the buttom of your fermenter.it should be moving all around in the fermenter.
How is the activity in your airlock? Bubbling a lot or not really

I'm not an expert but normally it should not stay like that at the buttom of your fermenter.it should be moving all around in the fermenter.
How is the activity in your airlock? Bubbling a lot or not really

Hi Bud, i've got one of the coopers lager DIY kits that doesn't have an airlock, they call it the burp method apparently but when i looked this morning at the activity i could see little bits swirling and moving around as well as some foam build up and some brownish type stains on the top of the foam.

alimacoz said:
Hi Bud, i've got one of the coopers lager DIY kits that doesn't have an airlock, they call it the burp method apparently but when i looked this morning at the activity i could see little bits swirling and moving around as well as some foam build up and some brownish type stains on the top of the foam.

So it should be fine.Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew

nasa258e said:
Didn't you say it was a lager? Needs to be colder

Its the coopers lager kit but in previous threads I've read people have said that it comes with an ale yeast? Should I be aiming for lower temperatures still?

It's now sitting at 20c

OK i've just checked my brew again and its sitting on 20 now and its got a nice layer of foam on the top, definitely a lot more foam than this morning :)

Enjoying this brewing experience already and it's only the second day!

OK i've just checked my brew again and its sitting on 20 now and its got a nice layer of foam on the top, definitely a lot more foam than this morning :)

Enjoying this brewing experience already and it's only the second day!

Welcome to your new addiction ;) what's next up in the pipeline?

neosapien said:
Welcome to your new addiction ;) what's next up in the pipeline?

Thanks it's a great addiction to have hey!

Up next I was thinking about making a ginger beer, has anyone had any success with these from a kit or are they best left alone?

Back