Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigh. Am I the only one who actually likes inter-divisional play? From a Penguins fan perspective, it gets old watching the Rangers, Islanders, Philadelphia, devils and now Capitals & Canes. I think it would have been much more interesting to mix it up more along the lines of the NFL or MLB. Wouldn't it be better for fans if the Rangers and Flyers could meet each other in the Stanley Cup Finals? Or Pittsburgh and Washington? Or Montreal and Boston? Or Detroit and San Jose?

I understand the travel issue, but doesn't baseball have a similar problem, and they seem to deal with it just fine. (Yes, I know they play a series which helps, but they still have a lot of travel.)

+ n to the x

Seriously? This was a move to appease the *WEST COAST* teams.

Edit: Oh. You're still going on about the 8 teams vs 7 teams, aren't you? It really doesn't confer any real advantage for anything that matters, which is exactly why you don't see any serious complaining about it - other than from some misguided fans, I suppose.

Appease the West Coast teams? Did you have blotter for breakfast? The boys out west will travel like sunzabvtches regardless of the divisional line ups. This realignment is all about catering the whiny little bvtch owners back east.

As for the 7 vs 8 team divisions, the math is quite simple. Teams playing in a conference where only three teams miss the playoffs have a significant advantage over teams playing in a division where 4 teams miss out.

I don't think the 7 vs 8 is that big of a deal. Yes you might squeak by a tad easier in the group of 7, but you will still need to beat the number 1 seed to advance. It would be a bigger deal from a financial perspective if you were an owner that got to reap the benefits of a few extra playoff games that would be otherwise missed.

Geographically this makes a lot more sense than the old alignment. East Coast already had it cushy with the exception of travel to Winnipeg and the 2 Florida teams.

This alignment helps the Western conference teams IMO. Remember its not just travel distance, it's Time Zones. How many stupid 9 or 9:30 starts do I have to watch as a Wild fan? Okay maybe I should man up on that. But its also about letting kids watch games which is almost impossible with the current setup for 1/3 of the games. It was a matter of getting the minimum votes from the more profitable East Coast teams to make it a reality. See linkey below for old vs new maps:

How the NHL will look next year; realignment map… | Section 303

Appease the West Coast teams? Did you have blotter for breakfast? The boys out west will travel like sunzabvtches regardless of the divisional line ups. This realignment is all about catering the whiny little bvtch owners back east.

As for the 7 vs 8 team divisions, the math is quite simple. Teams playing in a conference where only three teams miss the playoffs have a significant advantage over teams playing in a division where 4 teams miss out.

All the news leading up to this made it seem like it was done for Illich and the Wings, who were "promised" a move back to the east.

Rats. Leafs can't overcome the slow start in the first. Kovalchuk always scores against the Leafs.

Oh well, us Leaf fans know to be thankful for a point!

paulster2626 said:
Rats. Leafs can't overcome the slow start in the first. Kovalchuk always scores against the Leafs.

Oh well, us Leaf fans know to be thankful for a point!

That final penalty got my hopes up for a split second... then I realized that, despite Toronto being #2 in PP%, NJ has a ridiculous penalty kill.

They've only let a goal in once every 20 penalties (~5%). Montreal has the second best PK, and even they have given up goals more than once every 10 penalties (~10%). That's TWICE as good as *anybody* else... pretty insane.

I'm positive the Wings will be fine, they did just win 7 in a row, gotta throw the little dogs some scraps every now and then.

_

I was watching last night, but suddenly the DVR started recording SOA for my wife. So I just turned went to sleep. Missed almost the whole game due to going to the HS basketball game. My daughter plays in the pep band.

It just wasn't the same without Ken Daniels RIP his dad.

Ugh, too many 4-5 day breaks between Flyers games.

Looking forward to the Flyers/Pens game tomorrow and 1 week til the start of 24/7 episodes!

I love it. Minnesota won last night with their #3 goalie! Haters gunna hate but the Wild have had the best record in the Show now for the past couple weeks!

My money is on the Saab-rays tonight. Philly just ain't that good anymore.

LOL - Yeah, we're really missing Ville Leino, Damn Buffalo for stealing him away from us !!!!

Philly may not win the cup, but they are easily a better team than buffalo.

How long did Miller last in his previous outing against the Flyers ?
Not even 6:30 before the flyers put 3 behind him. In his last nine home starts vs. the Flyers, Miller is 2-6-1 with a 3.15 GAA.

Flyers also currently have the best road record in the league, and the top scorer ... Okay he's tied for 3rd today with 2-3 less games played than anyone ahead of him.

I love it. Minnesota won last night with their #3 goalie! Haters gunna hate but the Wild have had the best record in the Show now for the past couple weeks!

Did you hear what Leopold said last night on interview before the Sharks game? We are 28 games into the season, a third of it, and not a SINGLE road game has been played in our time zone. This change is gonna be AWESOME!!

LOL - Yeah, we're really missing Ville Leino, Damn Buffalo for stealing him away from us !!!!

Philly may not win the cup, but they are easily a better team than buffalo.

How long did Miller last in his previous outing against the Flyers ?
Not even 6:30 before the flyers put 3 behind him. In his last nine home starts vs. the Flyers, Miller is 2-6-1 with a 3.15 GAA.

Flyers also currently have the best road record in the league, and the top scorer ... Okay he's tied for 3rd today with 2-3 less games played than anyone ahead of him.

Yeah but simply throw them a 1-3-1 and they get all confused! They are soft-minded.:cross:

Funny how you can have the league's top scorer, without actually having the league's top scorer. I like how that math works out.

Yeah but simply throw them a 1-3-1 and they get all confused! They are soft-minded.:cross:

Funny how you can have the league's top scorer, without actually having the league's top scorer. I like how that math works out.

That make sense, Giroux with 1.28 pts per games is the second best scorer of the NHL, Crosby is 1.5:p

Just kiding, that doesn't matter the number of games played, he might have no point in is 3 nexts games... As for my count the Leafs have the best scorer this year and it's quite funny I'm young but can't remember this happening!!!

Disappointing finish to the Sabres game tonight. Thought they had a chance to regain some momentum in OT, but that pass was awful to spring Giroux for the winner.

On another note. What is the point of the supplementary discipline committee (read: Shanahammer)? I'm asking, not making a joke. I thought it was to suspend players to deter them from making "dangerous" plays. It seems that more and more plays that are simply missed by the refs in the game are resulting in suspensions. If Fistric gets a charging major against the Isles during the game does he still get 3 games? I'm also wondering about that spear by Ovi tonight. If he gets a major or a match penalty (wasn't that hard of a spear) is he even considered for a hearing?

Any opinions?

Personally I don't think all these plays are "dangerous" enough to warrant suspensions. I thought it would be primarily targeted at head shots and blatantly violent plays, not just cheap shots that got missed.

Back