New Turkey fryer pot help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I bought a Brinkmann Turkey Fryer from HD a couple of days ago. I took it out of the box and measured how much space I had left on the oven between the top of the fryer and the microwave. I have about 2 - 3 inches, but can I use this pot on an electric element or should I go ahead and get propane for it? I don't know how well it's going to spread the heat out....

What are some of the benefits of going propane (aside from brewing outside) vs. staying electric and doing it in the house if I have the space on the stove?

Thanks!

Fill your tank and get to brewing. The elecric stove will take forever to get that pot boiling. Propane burners > stoves all day. It only took me 2 extract batches on my "Power" stove burner before I bought a Turkey fryer/burner.

Also depending on the pot you may not want it on your electric stove top. Aluminum pots and electric elements do not go well together, you will end up warping and destroying your pot. If its stainless you will be fine, but from an efficiency standpoint, get a propane burner as was previously mentioned.

I have a 3 gallon enameled steel pot I've used successfully on my electric stovetop and on the side burner of my gas grill, but when I got a 40 litre aluminum stock pot from a restaurant supply house, neither would work. Got a propane outdoor cooker and it'll bring 8 gallons of water to a rolling boil in 20 minutes. It's the only way to go.

i have an aluminum turkey fryer pot about 61/2 gallons Iwrapped in insulation and have no broblems with boiling on my stove top. I used one of those silver reflective front car window shades and some aluminum tape. been happily cooking over a year now

I've used my aluminum pot on the stove as well with no issues aside from waiting longer to boil. It is a glass stovetop so may distribute heat better than coils in regards to the previous post about warping aluminum.

I have no problem using a heavy-walled 8 gallon aluminum pot on an electric stove. Does it take longer? yes. Do I have to keep the lid half-on to maintain a full boil? Yes. Would I love to supplement the stove with a heatstick? YES. (But I seriously doubt the wiring quality in my the house I'm renting, so I'll wait till I move somewhere else for that.)

I just bought a 7.5g stainless pot and a propane burner. It's wayyy better than trying to use the electric stove. I understand also that w propane you have better temperature control w the open flame vs an electric stove. Plus the stove takes foreverrrr. I wouldn't go back to trying to do that for money. I love the propane system.

Also, I've heard that using an aluminum pot will give you some weird flavors to your beer when you boil. Stainless is the only way to go

I am using a 20qt aluminum pot on a glasstop stove. It is working fine for extract boils. My next 2 will be partial then I plan to go AG. Then with 5 gallon boils I don't think I want that in the kitchen not to mention the weight on the glass.

I am working on recipes for an American Amber that I will do from a Kit and AG at the same time to learn the differences.

Latest posts

Back