Pliny Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluechin, I think the second addition is necessary to "layer" the aroma. I just dry-hopped an IPA I made and I wish I would have done 2 separate additions instead of one 2.5oz addition. Live and learn!

I'm a bit confused on the hop additoins. Once I add the first 12 day dry hop, do I let it sit 12 days, then remove it and add the 5 day? Or do I add the 12 day and after 7 days add the 5 day? I'm about to go on a week vacation, this could get tricky with me not being home.

I forced carbed a sample after adding the first dry hop addition. Mine will be ready on the 22nd, but I must say it is showing really well already.

Edit: Just tasted the sample and wow it's really good. My wife and I walk down to our little pub the Hop Monk and I have a glass of Vinnie's PTE pretty much every day. This is without the last hop addition and I gotta say it is spot on. It's just missing that last hop addition for the aromatics and I'm sure it will nail it. This is great right now. I'm going to be doing some blind taste testing.

Message to Ubermick: I know I SAID I would swap 1/2 my 10g batch of this for 1/2 your 10g batch of the Racer 5 clone, but.. well lets taste the Racer 5 clone :D

OK.. Tasted the R5 clone and I'm still in for the swap, yumm!

I guess if I start dry hopping tonight, I could add the 2nd addition 1 day earlier than suggested and I'd be able to keg before I leave on vacation. This would give the 12 day dry hop only 11 days to do its thing but I don't think that would be too big of a deal.

Or, I could let the beer sit in primary for 23 days, start the first dry hop the day I leave, then add the 2nd addition when I get back and wait until June 7th to keg.

You guys got any input as to which I should try to do? The beer was originally brewed on May 1st. I am assuming it has reached FG

I guess if I start dry hopping tonight, I could add the 2nd addition 1 day earlier than suggested and I'd be able to keg before I leave on vacation. This would give the 12 day dry hop only 11 days to do its thing but I don't think that would be too big of a deal.

Or, I could let the beer sit in primary for 23 days, start the first dry hop the day I leave, then add the 2nd addition when I get back and wait until June 7th to keg.

You guys got any input as to which I should try to do? The beer was originally brewed on May 1st. I am assuming it has reached FG

The way I read it, the dry hopping is a total of 12 to 14 days, so you'd put the first dry hop addition in, then 7 to 9 days later you add the second. Five days after that you bottle/carb whatever, it's ready.

For what its worth - I made the AHS version - which uses 17 ounces of hops and 7 of them are for dry hopping.

Added the dry hops all at once. And it came out very close to the actual pliny that I had on hand. It was an EXCELLENT beer and aroma with 1 addition.

In fact it was one of the best beers period I have ever had.

The owner of the bar that I tend at has 200+ beers available and 10-15 of them change every two weeks - for years. Basically, he has had lots.

And he found it to be one of the best beers he had ever had as well.

I made the AHS one as well. But since I've never had the real thing, I had nothing to compare it to. It was a good beer but I didn't have capacity to cold crash it and ended up with small hop particles floating around in every pour.

4-5 days to be ready.
Grains from BMWH and hops from Steelers77.

fbf486e8.jpg

I'm bottling tomorrow, and brewing my second batch today. Before I do though, I have a question:

I know that it's a bad idea to add hops to to yeast starters, because hops inhibit cell growth - including yeast. I bottle carbonate and, after three weeks in the carboy, I worry that the yeast still suspended in the beer won't be sufficient to carbonate such an insanely hoppy beer.

Thoughts? Should I add a pinch of rehyrdated US-05 (not the whole packet, I know) prior to bottling? Since there's a second batch, I can afford to low-carb this one and learn from my mistake, but I'd rather not!

I think you would be alright, but adding 1/2 teaspoon when bottling wouldn't hurt. I usually only do this when I bottle something that is high alcohol and has been bulk aging for a long time.

Mine was ready to sample yesterday. I bought a bottle of Pliny from the grocery store and set up a side by side. My version was a bit darker. However, the taste was extremely close to Vinnie's commercial brew. We had 4 people do the side by side and everyone agreed the recipe nails it. The hops were a bit more present in the clone, but by the time it's as old as the bottle was, it should be spot on. It's the closest any of my clones have come to the original product. Oh yeah, it's delicious.

Last Saturday I bottled, and I did in fact add a teaspoon of US-05 along with the priming sugar. My theory was that the extra yeast would be good for carbonation, given the beer's high hop and alcohol contents.

I tried it after five days, and while the flavor is great, my bottles are only EVER so slightly carbed. Bigger beers take a while to carb up, so this isn't unexpected; I AM glad that I added the extra yeast though - just a pointer for anyone else who bottle carbonates this recipe.

EDIT: Eight days out, the beer is still not quite fully carbed, but definitely on its way. And yowza it is hoppy (and good!)

Back