Cold crashing starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
How long should I let my starter sit on the stir plate before a throw it in the refridgerator??? I can't brew for a little while....

When it's done fermenting.
How long's a little while? if you have to wait a couple weeks then you've defeated the purpose. But the technique you're employing is great for increasing the number of yeast you pitch, so it may not be a total waste of time. I guess it depends on what you're trying to do.
If you're trying to delay lag time for startup of your fermentation, though, I'd recommending dumping your whole starter into the wort 12-18hrs after pitching your starter. Then you get your yeast when they're really active which should really help with lag time.

Usually 2-3 days is good enough. If you can't brew for a few weeks, then I would rejuvenate the starter when you are a couple days away from brewing.

Stick your starter in the fridge now, then when you get closer, pour off the liquid but don't disturb the yeast cake, add more wort and stick it back on the stirplate for a couple days. That'll give you nice healthy yeast to pitch on your beer.

Back