I'm stupid, stupid, stupid!! - Froze my keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I cleaned out my keezer yesterday, and afterwards I replaced all the kegs, the CO2, my yeast, my damp-rid . . . but I left the temp probe on the floor of the 100+ degree garage.

Today I went to get my yeast starter which was cold crashing and found a yeast starter slushie. My kegged beer is very cold but not really frozen. My liquid yeast packs are frozen solid, and my dry yeast is probably OK but suspect.

Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn!!!

Get used to it. We all do dumb ****, and it's not the little things we screw up. For some reason, you pay attention to the little things, and blow something major bigtime.:eek:

The only good thing is that I figured it out less than 24 hours later. If I had decided to brew tomorrow, everything would have been frozen solid. As it is, I probably just lost my liquid yeast and my yeast starter.

I look at phuck-ups like this; if you don't have a big mess to deal with, it could have been much worse. :)

I would certainly give the liquid yeast packets a chance, but definitely make the starters far enough ahead that you can re-start with new yeast if necessary. Liquid yeast is too expensive to just toss, IMHO.

Not as bad as forgetting to connect the controller for your fermentation cabinet and having the space heater toast a batch.

It could have been much worse. I've seen pictures of cornie kegs that have deformed because they've been allowed to freeze thereby rendering the oval seal useless. That would break my heart!

You're lucky that you're not replacing your kegs right now!

A few million yeasties are small casualty. :D

In the deep freeze that has been the midwest over the last several weeks my kegs froze as well. When I opened up the keezer the CO2 tank was also empty, could something have frozen and busted the regulator? I'm going to get a new CO2 tank today but am unsure what to expect when I attach it to the system.

In the deep freeze that has been the midwest over the last several weeks my kegs froze as well. When I opened up the keezer the CO2 tank was also empty, could something have frozen and busted the regulator? I'm going to get a new CO2 tank today but am unsure what to expect when I attach it to the system.

When you attach the regulator you should know quickly enough.

Get online and put a new regulator in the cart. If yours is toast, click the checkout button!! ;)

Back