Availability of Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdiblasi

Reaction score
I just ordered the infamous FCM7SUWW 7' chest freezer. My intention is to start out by picking up beer from the wonderful local breweries and distributors in the (Grand Rapids, MI) area. I don't have the equipment for homebrew yet but plan on getting started in the coming months.

I've heard that sixthels/corny kegs are common for homebrews, which we all know fit quite nicely in this model freezer. Full and half kegs would be too boring for me to drink through, and wouldn't fit anyway. As far as getting beer directly from the breweries, do they typically sell the sixthels themselves or should I expect to have to bring my own?

I know the larger kegs are easy to find, I'm just looking for some confidence that I'll be able to find variety in the sizes that will fit until I can get the homebrew rocking, or if I should look at a bigger size freezer.

Thanks in advance.
- Mike.

Lots of breweries around here will fill corny kegs, you just have to have your own. They are getting harder to find.

Where do you live? In Georgia we live under the "Three Tier System" (designed as an add on infraction for moon shining back in the day, I believe) where a manufacturer MUST sell to a distributer who then sells to the consumer. This really sucks as that I am 20 minutes from Terrapin and 40 minutes from both Sweet Water and Red Brick but if I want a 5 gallon keg I would have to pay $60.00 per (retail). On a tour of Terrapin, they told me that was a 300% mark up.

Oops. Saw that you were in Michigan. I hope you can get them filled at the brewery for the cost savings alone.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Corny kegs I understand are more used for homebrewing. What I meant to ask was if the breweries commonly sell in sixtels (5.17 gallons). I was actually at a brewery yesterday (Schmohz) that mentioned they sell 6 bll along with a bunch of other sizes.

Thanks for the feedback so far. My freezer gets delivered on Wednesday, I'm also trying to work out ordering the CO2 line equipment. I'd prefer to go stainless steel where feasible, there are just so many different brands, grades and build walkthroughs on here.

Check with your local liquor stores, most around here sell half barrel, quarter barrel, and sixtels. Many have multiple sizes for the same beer. See what your local stores have if breweries around you won't fill a corney. Once you get the homebrew flowing, wont be a problem anyway:drunk:

Great, thanks. I feel a lot better about having an all purpose keezer now. Does anyone have any input as to if I should go stainless steel on all metal parts (CO2 gauges and regulator, shanks, keg couplers...)? I definitely want quality but if I don't need to spend 25% more for 4x stainless steel or the like I'd rather put that money into another component.

The down side to buying 1/6 kegs from the liquor store is that it is a lot more expensive, by volume, than buying a 1/2. At the liquor store I go to a 1/2 is only twice the cost of a 1/6.

The down side to buying 1/6 kegs from the liquor store is that it is a lot more expensive, by volume, than buying a 1/2. At the liquor store I go to a 1/2 is only twice the cost of a 1/6.

Good point, good to know. If this project goes well I may look into going bigger someday, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Also, since it's just me and occasional company and game nights I'd rather have the variety available without drinking through a half barrel. Thanks.

Does anyone have any input as to if I should go stainless steel on all metal parts (CO2 gauges and regulator, shanks, keg couplers...)? I definitely want quality but if I don't need to spend 25% more for 4x stainless steel or the like I'd rather put that money into another component.

If you want it to last as long as possible, go stainless on everything that touches the beer. Faucets, shanks, connectors, (maybe) couplers. Buying cheap equipment is a good way to make sure you buy something twice.

Back