People and snow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adx

Reaction score
What is it with people and snow? Sure the roads a bit slick, but just take your time and it will be fine. Why must you either go 5 MPH or 75 MPH and nothing in between?

I ventured out on my way to work. A 35 mile commute that has very little traffic and usually takes about 35-40 minutes (interstates the entire way). Well it took me 25 minutes to go 3 miles before I said f-it and turned around. There was no way I was going to drive 1.5 - 2 hours to work, just to do the same crap 8 hours later.

I guess the only good part is that I'll be sitting at home doing nothing today.

The answer to this question is also the answer to many of life's other questions:

Because people are f*cking idiots.

The news 'tards were all in a fuggin tizzy about the possibility of snow this morning. One stupid woman is standing out on route 29 at a gas station talking about how there were a few flakes falling, but she assures us that the roads are not hazardous...however, "be prepared to use your ice scraper". I sh*t you not. Then she produces said ice scraper and moves it back and forth in a scraping motion, just in case there was someone out there you didn't know how to use the thing.

What is wrong with people?

I went to school at UNC-Asheville and they would flip out over the idea of snow. If their was a decent chance it was snowing... school was canceled. I loved it. I remember mutliple times school being canceled the night before and there was absolutely NO snow on the ground the following morning.

Ó Flannagáin said:
I went to school at UNC-Asheville and they would flip out over the idea of snow. If their was a decent chance it was snowing... school was canceled. I loved it. I remember mutliple times school being canceled the night before and there was absolutely NO snow on the ground the following morning.

ha...Virginia Tech only shut down if the buses couldn't run. And that happened once, maybe twice in my five years there...like when we had several inches of ice and the entire twon shut down. But otherwise...there could be 8 inches of snow on the ground and Blacksburg Transit would still be truckin' around in it. And if they were operational, so was campus.

I grew up and went to college in central PA. When I was in college classes were cancled once and it was because there was thick ice everywhere. I can remember walking through 15"+ of snow multiple times to get to class. That sucked.

I love snow and love driving in it (except highway). One of the best times is when they haven't plowed or salted yet and there's no one else on the roads. Once other people start getting out though, I'm in for the day...

Woke up this morning and there was frost around. Laughed my but off when I hear the news start going on and on about school closings.

I'm originally a Michigan native, schools weren't closed unless the doors were physically blocked by a few feet of snow.

It is kind of neat thought, to have my wife call into work and say "The roads are too bad" and have them actually believe her. :p

Soulive21 said:
I love snow and love driving in it (except highway). One of the best times is when they haven't plowed or salted yet and there's no one else on the roads.

Snow Panic + Unplowed Best Buy parking lot = FUN!

Kevin Dean said:
Snow Panic + Unplowed Best Buy parking lot = FUN!

Yeah I hear ya. I took my Jeep over to the grocery parking lot in 2WD the other day. It was fun until I hit one of those parking space curbs and almost rolled...

Pretty much everyone south of Cape May NJ goes into sphincter lock at the mention of snow. What's sad is how up here ever since the Blizzard of 78 every time there is a significant storm coming the butt wads on TV act like Ammegedon is coming. It's snow, people, this is New England, get over it!

Ó Flannagáin said:
You went to school for 5 years as well? I can thank my extra year to a freshman mistake of thinking I was gonna major in acting.

:off:

Actually, VT Architecture undergrad is what they call a "Professional Bachelor" degree.

4-year schools like UVa have "bachelors of arts or science in architecture", but you can't get your professional license on a 4-year degree alone, so you have to go back to grad school for another 2 years.

5-year pro-bachelor degrees, however, allow you to get licensed. In other words, it's like a graduate degree, and all I had to do was go through one extra year and do a thesis. The wife, she had to hit grad school because she got her bachelors at UVa. I kinda like the 5-year thing, you know?

Hell, most of the people I knew, though, started out freshman year in something else.

Evan! said:
:off:

Actually, VT Architecture undergrad is what they call a "Professional Bachelor" degree.

4-year schools like UVa have "bachelors of arts or science in architecture", but you can't get your professional license on a 4-year degree alone, so you have to go back to grad school for another 2 years.

5-year pro-bachelor degrees, however, allow you to get licensed. In other words, it's like a graduate degree, and all I had to do was go through one extra year and do a thesis. The wife, she had to hit grad school because she got her bachelors at UVa. I kinda like the 5-year thing, you know?

Hell, most of the people I knew, though, started out freshman year in something else.

Interesting. I'm starting grad school next summer hopefully. WIsh I had the "professional bachelors" option at my school!

Evan! said:
The answer to this question is also the answer to many of life's other questions:

Because people are f*cking idiots.

The news 'tards were all in a fuggin tizzy about the possibility of snow this morning. One stupid woman is standing out on route 29 at a gas station talking about how there were a few flakes falling, but she assures us that the roads are not hazardous...however, "be prepared to use your ice scraper". I sh*t you not. Then she produces said ice scraper and moves it back and forth in a scraping motion, just in case there was someone out there you didn't know how to use the thing.

What is wrong with people?

I spent my entire drive into work this morning thinking the same thing. I pull out of my driveway and end up with some donkey going 10 mph in front of me. He continues straight at an intersection so I turn right, only to have another donkey in front of me doing 15 mph.

It's only 3 inches of snow!

People around here are idiots when it comes to driving in this stuff. For some reason they dont' realize that it's ok to go over 20 mph as long as you give yourself enough time to slow down.

As overwhelming as the snow can be up here in Maine, it's always hilarious to hear the crybabies on the public folders of the campus email system screaming bloody murder anytime some snow comes down and they don't cancel classes - "someone's going to DIE and they don't care", etc... If you are afraid of snow, don't go to school here...

Granted, apparently it's worked to some degree, because a few years ago they almost NEVER cancelled classes, at least not for the full day (once a year, MAYBE), but in the last couple years (I assume due to new management) they've been cancelling quite often, though not enough to appease the sissies apparently.

Best part is, it seems like the first snowstorm of the year always brings out the morons. It's like they've completely forgotten how to handle snow during the rest of the year. Accidents all over the place, even if there's not much snow - and then later in the winter it's not nearly as bad.

rabidgerbil said:
All this talk of schools and snow, and you all missed the important point.
You should be brewing!!!
I would have, but I was going to stop at MDHB to pickup the stuff for my latest Amber today at lunch. If they were open Tuesdays I would have went yesterday.

Ó Flannagáin said:

My brother moved to Raleigh years ago. He still can't get over how wimpy they are when it comes to winter weather. If the temp is expected to get into the 20s, there are warnings issued everywhere about the possibility of frostbite, don't go outside unless you have to, etc. That doesn't happen here until it gets to about ten below.
You need at least a foot of snow to cancel school here. As for the moron drivers, the first snowfall of the year always sucks. People need to re-learn how to handle it. After that it gets better.

Bernie Brewer said:
My brother moved to Raleigh years ago. He still can't get over how wimpy they are when it comes to winter weather. If the temp is expected to get into the 20s, there are warnings issued everywhere about the possibility of frostbite, don't go outside unless you have to, etc. That doesn't happen here until it gets to about ten below.
You need at least a foot of snow to cancel school here. As for the moron drivers, the first snowfall of the year always sucks. People need to re-learn how to handle it. After that it gets better.

Chapel Hill is 25 miles from Raleigh, and that's exactly the way it is. It gets under 40 degrees and people put on everything they own. My first year here it snowed 1/2 inch - people were stuck in traffic for 8 hours and kids were staying overnight at their middle schools. It's ridiculous.

Bernie Brewer said:

This is what we got over night. We have school today.

DSC01490 copy.jpg

We got 8" here and it was still coming down. Took me 25 mins. just to brush the stuff off my car! Then I got out in it and it took me 35 mins. to get what normally takes me 10 mins. I knew what I was in for.

I normally have an hour drive at best. What I saw this morning reminded me of what we had a couple years ago when it took me four hours to get home! This morning there were multiple crashes on both my preferred route and my alternate route. Plus, we're due for more this afternoon. No, thanks!

It's too cold, snowy and windy out to brew on my patio. But I do have bottling to do and homebrew to drink! Plus, TCM is running Marx Brother's movies all day today. That's my plan for the day!
:mug:

Starting with zero snow on the ground, We got snow starting late sunday night, lasting all monday and finally tapering off around noon tuesday. Here's the aftermath.

They cancelled afternoon classes monday, and just 2 hours of morning classes tuesday. I was sort of surprised they even cancelled that much.

DSCF1339.JPG

I learned to drive in New Jersey in the winter (went to Cornell U. as well), so I have a good idea how to deal with snow and ice. But, I don't drive in the snow up here because: A. Most of the people can't deal with it, B. Have you ever been sitting on the highway and the only movement is the wind pushing your van across the ice towards the ditch? I have a tall, medium long Sprinter and sideways is NOT good!

FJ - ever leave your side window open just a crack & come out in the morning to a car full of snow?

This is what it looks like right now off of my balcony. They're calling for a total of <2 inches. I blame the road people for the bad driving though. They didn't put any treatments on the roads this morning. All of the overpass froze solid in about an hour.

Photo0025.jpg

david_42 said:
But, I don't drive in the snow up here because: A. Most of the people can't deal with it

That's the thing. You may have experience with winter driving, but if nobody around you does, you're better off staying home.

This is what it looks like right now off of my balcony. They're calling for a total of <2 inches. I blame the road people for the bad driving though. They didn't put any treatments on the roads this morning. All of the overpass froze solid in about an hour.

adx you've gotta be kidding me that's just a dusting.! does maryland even have a salt system?

i was in fort knox in 93 when kentucky had a blizzard up to 2' in areas shut the whole state down for a week. the state was callin on the radio for people with plows to work the rds and highways. freakin southerners

eriktlupus said:
adx you've gotta be kidding me that's just a dusting.! does maryland even have a salt system?
They do, but they just didn't do it this morning. I have no idea why. The snow started to fall, people drove on it and it melted a bit, then BAM the bridges were all instantly frozen because nothing was on the road. I just heard on the radio that Fairfax County cops attended to 40 accidents between 8AM and 10AM this morning. Their average for that time is 4.

Typically, I like the snow. It makes everything look nice during a time when there ar no leaves on the trees. I do, however, have one complaint.

Since my snowblower died last year, we have had more snowfall than in ALL the years that freakin thing was working COMBINED! That's a little annoying

dam ollllllo, that's wicked. it nev er ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are. yeah the roads a layer of ice but i can make it to the store for my smokes!

eriktlupus said:
dam ollllllo, that's wicked. it nev er ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are. yeah the roads a layer of ice but i can make it to the store for my smokes!

Yeah seriously, stay the F home. Some of them looked like they've never driven before in their lives...

Back