Igloo FR464 mini-fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you can due to the built in freezer, unless someone has figured that hurdle out.

I bought one for a fermentation chamber and for that use it's perfect. Holds buckets and 5 Gal. carboys no problem.

20120920_185607.jpg

Extra data for those coming across this.

The fridge is 17 in wide, 29 inches tall at it's tallest (between door and compressor hump at the back) 15.5 inches deep at its deepest, 21.5 inches tall from the compressor hump to the top, and the hump is 8.75 inches from the door. With all the hardware removed from the door and the freezer shelf taken out as well.

Correct. You can see from the picture it holds just one. Also there's no head room for an airlock on a carboy, hence the blowoff tube. A bucket with airlock fits just fine.

I don't think there is a problem moving the freezer lines. They are fed by a soft line and should be able to be flattened or screwed into the back judging by the picture on the walmart site.

The picture from WalMart is wrong. If you look closely in the one I posted you can see there actually are no refrigerant lines. The "freezer" was actually just a plastic bin. I didn't need to make any mechanical modifications. Just took off the door plastic and never installed the freezer box and two wire shelves that came with it. Oh and drilled a small hole in the back for my probe.

Already fermented a Kolsch in her and she ran like a dream. Also the fan isn't necesssary; I had one laying around and put it in based on some other posts concerning temp differentials in larger keezers and stand up fridges. Doesn't really accomplish much in this little fridge.

Is that a 6 gal carboy?

And will the carboy fit on the floor of the fridge once the parts have been removed from the door?

It's a 5 gallon. My 6 wouldn't fit. If by floor of the fridge you mean in front of the compressor hump then no. It's only 8.75 inches deep. Measure whatever you plan on putting in it for sure; then refer to the dimensions I posted a few posts back.

It's a 5 gallon. My 6 wouldn't fit. If by floor of the fridge you mean in front of the compressor hump then no. It's only 8.75 inches deep. Measure whatever you plan on putting in it for sure; then refer to the dimensions I posted a few posts back.

If im understanding right, a 6 gallon better bottle should fit..its the same height as a 5 gallon, just a bit wider...but even then its only like 11 3/8", if its really 15 inches deep as you say it should work?

I'd say go for it! I'm sippin a lovely little Kolsch, my first from this ferm. chamber, right now. Everyone that brews should own a fermentation chamber.

I built one similar to this for a fermentation chamber. I removed the freezer compartment, bent the freezer coils down against the back and removed the door. I removed the plastic storage part off the door and built a 1x4 collar which I glued to the frig with liquid nails and a couple of metal straps from the hardware store. I then reinstalled the door and the 6 gallon fermenter WITH airlock fits in easlily.

Thank you for the information Beezy. I just finished my first brew this past weekend, and I'm keeping my fermentation bucket in a closet and running the A/C in the house at 70... It's a bit chilly. I'm going to have to pick one of these up.

In the picture you posted, did you add the black fan inside the fridge? If you don't mind sharing, what are the mods that you made?

Extra data for those coming across this.

The fridge is 17 in wide, 29 inches tall at it's tallest (between door and compressor hump at the back) 15.5 inches deep at its deepest, 21.5 inches tall from the compressor hump to the top, and the hump is 8.75 inches from the door. With all the hardware removed from the door and the freezer shelf taken out as well.

Based on a Corny Keg being 25" Tall and 8.125" in Diameter, two kegs should fit on the floor of the fridge, in front of the compressor hump. I'm going to pick up two of these and use one for fermenting, and the other for kegging. Thanks again for posting the specs, and I'll post some pictures and a summary in this thread when I'm done.

I've been looking for a small and cheap little fridge for fermenting in my garage. Only problem now is, the lightbulb or whatever I use for heat will run more than the fridge. It's only gonna be 52F tomorrow and in the 30s at night. I usually haul these things down to the basement where I keep my temp at 68 this time of year but it's hard on the back.

i just ordered this one. I'm going to put faucets on door instead to play it safe. will have to build something to elevate it higher.

i just ordered this one. I'm going to put faucets on door instead to play it safe. will have to build something to elevate it higher.

There are lines in the top. They are over 0.5 inch deep though. Just be careful when cutting the hole for the tower and it should be fine. There's not much room for taps in the door in this one with standard ball locks.

There are lines in the top. They are over 0.5 inch deep though. Just be careful when cutting the hole for the tower and it should be fine. There's not much room for taps in the door in this one with standard ball locks.

crap. i was planning on putting in the door. didn't want to hassle w/ tower and risk breaking fridge.

241 said:
Think this thing can get to lagering temps?

I've run it down to 42 with no trouble. Never tried to get any lower though I imagine it should do it. Most fridges, full size at least, come set to 38 from the factory. I've fermented my last two batches at 63 easily.

got mine lastnight started the build. it fits two ball locks snuggly after you cut off the tray holders and i had to move the thermostat around a bit. there seems to be plenty of head space to put faucet in door

20121113_211533.jpg

question for those who have the fridge.. how does this thermostat work. all it has is number no indication which way is cold? manual doesn't say either. is 1 or 9 the coldest?

In light of me wanting to purchase one of these fridges, I ended up getting a 7cu ft. MagicChef freezer from Home Depot. They have a sale on them right now, so it is only $158. I like the growth I will have with a keezer, so I opted to spend a little extra money.

Here are some pics of the freezer. It will hold three corny kegs easily, and the CO2 will fit on the hump if it's a 5lb. I got a 10lb CO2 tank though, so I will be making a collar for my keezer.

Not to take away from the op, but this is my build that I decided on after doing more research.

7cu ft. keezer $158
19cu ft. fermentation freezer $150 (used on craigslist)
Ranco Temp Controller $80

I'm going to use the Ranco for the ferment chamber, and I will modify the internal thermostat for the keezer so that it stays above freezing. I don't need precision for the keezer like I will for the ferment chamber, so I only bought one temp controller to save on costs.

How's it holding up? Temps okay? I think I'm going to covert one too. Got any pics of the inside with the regulator and co2 tank?

I actually put my tank behind the wall.
20121120_091254.jpg

Temps seem good as well took two seperate readings one from laying probe on the hump in back and other from laying on top of keg
20121120_100629.jpg

20121120_101846.jpg

Nice! Do you think a 5lb tank would fit behind the kegs?

ya i would think so. i have never seen one, but i have 15lb tank and mine is to tall. but there is enough room width would jsut come down to height. This fridge is same size maybe bigger than some of the danby or sanyos that people have successfully fit two kegs and co2.

ya i would think so. i have never seen one but i have 15lb tank and mine is to tall. but there is enough room width would jsut come down to heights. but this fridge is same size maybe bigger than some of the danby or sanyos that people have successfully fit two kegs and co2.

Sweet. Thanks for the info!

I just picked one of these up and started playing with it. Yes, a 5# CO2 with reg will easily stand on the hump without interrupting the kegs, with space for bottles or whatever too. I unscrewed the 16 or so screws holding the seal and door panel on, and just screwed the seal back on. I don't feel any cool spots around the door. The built in regulator is in the way of the second keg, but is only held in place by one screw. I removed the controller housing and just bent what I assume is the temp probe wire back to sit the controller above the hump instead. The higher the number on the thermostat, the lower the temp. At 1 with one full keg, it holds around 50-51degrees. I turned the knob to 7 overnight, and ice condensed on the ceiling and walls, and the cylinder of water with thermometer was at 37. It seemed like the compressor was running full time though. There is a small channel behind the hump that funnels to a drilled drain hole with no plug.

I mocked up my ball locks and converted pin locks. The ball locks would not fit two without trimming the shelf rails on the sides. The second keg sticks out the door about an inch without trimming. The pin lock kegs will only fit one. I suppose if you have a 2.5 or 3 gallon keg, you could fit it in along with a 5gal pin lock keg. If anyone wants pics of fermenters/keg/co2 tanks mocked up, PM me and I'm happy to do so until I have it in use.

Update: I cut down a whiteboard I had lying around to 18 5/8 x 31. I used the original door panel as a template to drill 1/8" holes, and remounted it with the door seal on it. Putting it back on would be easier with two people. The groove in the top of the door holds pens too :)

I just converted mine yesterday. I can get both kegs in, but i literally have to force the second one in. This is after shaving the shelf holders off. Anybody have experience with this?

Back