Declining flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruprect

Reaction score
It seems as if my beers are getting worse with age, its been several months and it seems as if they are getting an odd flavor that gets worse the longer it sits. It is kind of a tart or bitter flavor. I have noticed this the last several batches that I have made. This could have always been happening (very likely), but I've never stored them this long before.

I know this is somewhat vague, but I'm just kinda looking for a place to start my investigation on this. Could this be from oxidation during bottling?

Thanks!

A LOT depends on your processes, recipes, etc. One rule of thumb is the lower the OG, the sooner the beers deteriorate. Aging beers doesn't really do much until the gravities are over say 1.04-1.05. If most of your beers are "session" beers meaning they have an OG under 1.040, then they will deteriorate faster than regular gravity beers or big beers.

What kind of beer is it? I know some beer is better young. I also know that in general, "small" beers don't need to be aged very long and can even deteriorate (flavor-wise) over time. I think it is also possible that with excessive aging, oxygenation could occur (from no fault of your own).

What exactly is going on with your own beer, I'm not sure. Could just be these beers were better young.

Here ya go rup....

http://morebeer.com/public/pdf/off_flavor.pdf

OK, so I guess I should have dug a little more before I posted... :(

One thing that I was going to mention was that these last couple of batches were fermented during the summer and my house was warm, 75+ degrees, I'm seeing in this list that there are several consequences of doing this.

One of the beers is a blonde ale and the other is a pale ale that has a little higher alcohol content ~5.5%. It starts out at a subtle flavor fairly quickly, like a few weeks or so, then after a couple months, its very prevalent.

Since it's over several recipes, I guess I'd have to say it is a process problem. I used a different source of water for each batch... so no common ingredients between the two.

Most beers do deteriorate with age with a few exceptions...working towards a good head by using wheat or heading powder will protect the beer in the glass so it will react with the air less. I usually get through a keg in 2 months :)

Back