American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why drophop in the corny? You guys don't put anything in the hop bag to weigh it down and submerge it into the beer or do the hops get heavy enough to do that?

I really messed mine up with this metal taste. Trying to burn through it as fast as I can so I can make another batch.

Why drophop in the corny? You guys don't put anything in the hop bag to weigh it down and submerge it into the beer or do the hops get heavy enough to do that?

I really messed mine up with this metal taste. Trying to burn through it as fast as I can so I can make another batch.

I've used an SS nut in the past to do this, I've also just put them in a muslin bag and let it float. They will saturate after a bit.

I think you were the one with the chrome, that sounds like your issue to me.

I've used an SS nut in the past to do this, I've also just put them in a muslin bag and let it float. They will saturate after a bit.

I think you were the one with the chrome, that sounds like your issue to me.

Ya that was me. Definitely because of the chrome.

Gonna use marbles like you said bucks.

Is it bad to leave the hops in the keg for longer then 2 weeks though? If a keg lasts for a month I would think it could add funky flavors.

I am making it without corriander because i forgot to add it. I am kegging it this weekend and will taste about a week later. I think it will still be really good.

I am making it without corriander because i forgot to add it. I am kegging it this weekend and will taste about a week later. I think it will still be really good.

great! keep us updated on how it turns out. i think this will be the first beer i keg, seems like a good one to have on tap :mug:

I am not a huge fan of corriander...has anyone made this just using the sweet orange peel?

I would say that the coriander is very low in the mix. To me, it seems to add a very light spiciness. I've made this many times without, and it's still tasty.

Just tasted a sip after checking the fg. It hit right on what brewpal said. I am so excited. Kegging to natural carb it Saturday!!!!!!! One of the best brews I've made so far. Thanks for the recipes.

Just poured the first pint from this batch and first for my keezer. Awesome. Great session beer and I forgot the coriander and it still tastes great. One I will make again and again!!!!

image-1744912032.jpg

Brewed this tonight, had 5.5 gallons in the fermentor at 1.062OG, but probably left 1/2 gallon or more behind in hotbreak, hop particles and orange peel. Should I tailor back the dry hop amount since I barely have 5 gallons in the carboy? Also, ok if I don't secondary? Don't want to lose anymore beer.

I did not scale back and had about 4.5 gallons. Tastes great. Smells great. Not overpowering at all.

I am brewing this one right now. I am pretty excited about it. It looks very tasty. I am following the recipe exactly except I am using a 1056 Wyeast.

I am thinking about brewing this one up this week. Has anyone tried (as mentioned on page 1) adding some honey malt to this? I would think the honey malt and oranges would work really well together.

I just poured the first pint of this from my keg. Absolutely delicious! This is my seventh AG batch that I've done solo. I used to brew with a group of friends. I bought my own set up because I needed more beer and creative control. This is definitely my personal best. I think im going to brew another batch of this asap! Thank you for the recipe.

Glad to hear it is turning out well for you guys. I really enjoy this one during the warmer weather.

Hello!
I made a similar recipe as follows:

8# 2 row
2# Asheburne Mild
1# C-20
mashed @ 150 for 75 min
1 oz Centennial 60 min/ fwh
1 oz Centennial 10 min
2 oz fresh orange peel 10 min
1 oz crushed coriander 10 min
1 oz Centennial 5 min
1 oz Centennial flameout
2 oz Centennial dry hop
all centennial @ 9.2%
~52 ibus
Wyeast 1272
OG 1.057
FG 1.011

Got some great feedback at the club meeting. The coriander is nearly undetectable, yet present. The orange and centennial combo, along with the 1272, lend to a near tropical experience, while maintaining a well hopped profile of APA. Next time I make this I will try not to cut so deep on the orange peel because if you get some of the white part, it really does give itself to a different bittering quality, we know would be better left to the hops alone.

Thanks for the awesome recipe!

I brewed this up last night. I accidentally doubled ( 2 oz instead of 1 oz) the coriander though. From all the tasting notes from a 1 oz addition I am assuming I may end up with a potentially over-strong spiciness. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

This beer was my first partial mash on Saturday and although I think I had bad temp readings, I went with it. Last night I decided to check the SG since it seemed to be done already. It is, in fact, done fermenting and is absolutely delicious. I can't wait to get this dry hopped and bottled.

I just bottled my attempt at this recipe and I am a little worried. I tasted a sample prior to adding my priming sugar and it tasted a little medicinal/band aidish to me.

I clean and rinse everything very well with oxyclean and sanitize with starsan so I can't imagine where this flavor is coming from...

Hopefully I am just freaking out over a green beer and things will mellow after bottle conditioning :drunk:

Converted this to partial mash, and brewed this about a week ago. I tried to stay true to the original recipe although I zested four oranges and did 3/4s at the original time and the rest at 5min. I also used Wyeast 1272 which had been washed from an earlier Amarillo IPA I brewed. The fermentation process was very active even when kept at around 62 degrees. The smell was nothing short of amazing, can not wait for this beer.

@kingmatt
I have faith that you'll get an amazing beer after it all settles out in bottle conditioning!

I have my first batch of this sitting in two fermentors. It's been 10 days of primary. I don't have any open kegs yet to dry hop in, can i put the dry hops in a strainer bag in the primary and still get a good dry hop?

I was all set to brew this tonight, but storms are blowing in. Looks like brew day is rained out!

I brewed this today, and experienced my first brew day disaster when my 6 gallon glass carboy shattered on my garage floor right at the end of the boil. It only fell about 2 inches, but that was enough to cost me $50!

Good thing my LHBS was open today. Went and picked up a couple more Better Bottles. No more glass for me!

kingmatt said:
I just bottled my attempt at this recipe and I am a little worried. I tasted a sample prior to adding my priming sugar and it tasted a little medicinal/band aidish to me.

I clean and rinse everything very well with oxyclean and sanitize with starsan so I can't imagine where this flavor is coming from...

Hopefully I am just freaking out over a green beer and things will mellow after bottle conditioning :drunk:

Are you using bottled or house water?
I always use campden tablets for my water : )

Are you using bottled or house water?
I always use campden tablets for my water : )

I use water from the tap because about 10 brews ago I didn't feel like running to the store for water and the beer I made with tap water tasted great, no discernible difference.

I cracked a bottle of this last night (after only 4 days in the bottle) because I am impatient and was really worried about some kind of infection...it was really good! It was already decently carb'd and the orange flavor shone through, no band aid flavor at all :rockin:

My taste buds must have been off during bottling.

kingmatt said:
I use water from the tap because about 10 brews ago I didn't feel like running to the store for water and the beer I made with tap water tasted great, no discernible difference.

I cracked a bottle of this last night (after only 4 days in the bottle) because I am impatient and was really worried about some kind of infection...it was really good! It was already decently carb'd and the orange flavor shone through, no band aid flavor at all :rockin:

My taste buds must have been off during bottling.

That's good news it tastes good now.
Did you lick the caps before bottling thinking it was stamps? Lol

I am brewing this today for the third time. It is so good. The first two times I brewed it, I used wyeast 1056 and it turned out wonderful. Today, I am brewing ten gallons and only have one 1056. I have some safale-04 and some Nottingham on hand. Which one would be a better substitute for the 1056?

Back