What is the best way to monitor fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
I am curious what some of the different ways of monitoring the temps are out there. I would like to be more accurate than the sticky on the side of my primary. I tend to think that it only monitors the heat generated through the plastic or glass.

I've checked the fermometer with a temp probe and it's not off by that much..maybe +/- a couple degrees...which is close enough for me.

Dan

If you want more accuracy than that (I doubt it's necessary, but that's your business), you'd need a stainless steel "thermowell" which extends into the fermenter and hold the thermometer or ranco probe.

Or you could make a ghetto version by drilling a plastic bucket for a stopper, then drilling the stopper with a hole just barely big enough to shove the probe of a thermometer in.

But I'd think this could be a sanitation concern.

I often stick a thermometer in a glass of water and place it next to it. This should give you a fairly accurate reading...

Back