Can you drink home brew straight out of the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meisetsu33

Reaction score
Yes, home brewed beer (and any beer period) is better and should be served in a nice clean glass with a nice head accompanying it.
I fully acknowledge this.

But still, I have to ask how it is to drink straight out of the bottle rather than pouring it into a glass/cup.
The reason I ask is my friends and I are planning to take a camping trip (somewhere), and I wanted to bring along some bottles of home brewed beer for the occasion.
Sure I can bring along plastic cups to at least make the situation a little bit better, but I'd rather avoid the hassle of extra luggage if I could.

My guess is the sedimentation on the bottom of the bottle will get disrupted and alter the taste of the beer (how much... I don't know, because I've never tried), but besides that is it "safe" in the sense that it won't cause any sickness?

Any info will be wonderful! Any tips on drinking home brewed beer at camping/trip destinations would be great too.
Thanks ahead!

If you like the yeast, no problem.

I personally don't give into the EAC drink from a glass mindset and frequently drink from a bottle. Still get all the flavor and aroma the beer has to offer.

The Maxialla is connected to the, oropharynx.

The oropharynx is connected to tha', Buccal Mucosa.

The Buccal Mucosa is connected to tha'......

No problem whatsoever. I often have big suppers/ brewparties and everyone drinks straight from the bottle. I slosh the last bit to get that yeast (it's probiotic woo woo) but most people drink them normally. I've never had any complaints about yeasty bottoms either.

If someone on the trip is allergic or somehow irritated by yeast you might have a little problem but otherwise don't worry about it.

(I do drink from a glass most of the time)

Yes, and you will learn that you will soon be able to fart on command.

If you're camping you should go all out and find something to carve a glass out of, maybe widdle a cup from drift wood or chip a small boulder out, not for taste, but just because.

It really depends on how cleared the beer was before it went into bottles. If you bottled too soon, theres going to be a ton of trub/yeast. If your beer is pretty clear before going in bottles, there won't be.

bring some plastic cups man, craft beer needs to be set free from the bottle to realize its full potential.

I think the best bet would be 2 liter PET pop bottles, not glass. I can't see breaking the bottle just before getting to drink it. I assume your backpack camping right, otherwise load the car to the "gun wales" with bottles and glasses.

For camping trips, I bottle in 19 oz PET bottles. I try not to drink out of the bottle, since I don't like the yeasty sediment. But heck, if there is no glass, bottoms up!

For a camping trip I'd say you'll be just fine as you will be outdoors with plenty of ventilation!

My personal favorite is indoors in bed with the SWMBO when I have a chance to clam bake her with the sheets.

Thanks for all the input!

I think at this point I'll go with no cups and straight out of the bottle.
My friends (who are going to have some) can take yeast I'm sure. At least they can take hefeweizens :D

Latest posts

Back