Using a plastic water container for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I don't have a glass 1G container. If needed i'll go buy one. I do have a 1 gallon carton from a purified drinking water container I used for brewing. I know the bung fit's pretty tight on the top, I can push about 1/2 inch into it and it stays snug.

The question is, is that plastic container ok for fermenting? Or is it too thin and porous type of plastic?

Typically they are too porous, BUT many people use them. I would not use them to bulk age.

I was thinking of just using it to ferment the cider, then siphon into a glass 1 gallon jug next week when i buy one.

I looked into this at one time, and I concluded that the water containers are made of a type of plastic that, while safe enough for water, may not be suitable for an acidic fermentation environment. I think you'll have to make your own call on how comfortable you are with it.

Whatever you decide, I agree that they are probably not the best for bulk aging.

Hmm, just thought of another Idea!!

I have an empty Mr Beer fermenter, I guess I'll use that!

Just made my first batch :) 2 Gallons, 1074 starting gravity.

I have one of those 5 gal bottles and was thinking of using that until I asked the question. The response was if it's HDPE it's fine if not use something else. You can check by looking at the bottom and it will be marked either HDPE or have the recycle symbol with the number 2 in it.

I decided to not use the water bottles. I did use the 1 gallon one to mix the cider and sugar together, and then dump it into my Mr Beer fermenter, that I no longer use. Now I found a good use for it again :)

More than likely the next time I go to make this, I will probably buy a 2 or 3 gallon carboy and use that. Assuming this one turns out well.

Back