making my first keg buy tomorrow, have questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
Kinda sick of bottling so tomorrow, I'm picking up a corny keg from the lhbs. They have quite a few of them for $40 a pop.

First, is $40 high? From what I've seen, that seems about right.

Second, is there anything I need to watch out for when buying them? Seals / dents / whatever...

Third, when using them, I'm assuming you prep the beer the same as you would for bottling? 3/4 cup dextrose per 5 gallons?

Thanks!

40 is ok these days for pickup. kegs are usually around 30 years old these days, so a few dents are expected, but they should hold carbonation; otherwise, the lhbs has no right to sell them. for sugar, i use 1/3 cup. it's a lot more efficient in a keg. you'll probably get answers from 2-4 oz on this question, though

40 for a ball lock is ok, 35 if its a pin lock, also if you carb with priming sugar you will have alot more trub in the keg than if you force carb with c02, both ways work tho.

If u are going to carb the beer that way I have heard of people cutting part of the dip tube off so as not to suck up the trub that comes from priming another option is force carbing with co2

I'd say don't waste time trimming the tube. Just pour the first glass or two and toss it. All the sediment will be gone.

In regards to co2 tanks, is there a 'recommended' size? How many pounds / ounces can I expect to use on a 5 gallon keg?

I have a line on a 10# tank for $40.

A 5# is plenty, but for that price, I'd jump all over that 10. Just check the hydrotest date. Depending on where you fill, they need to be tested after either 5 years or 10 years.

I would like to know where as well....the only two I know in town is Shawnee and Olathe. Are you talking about Kraus in Independence?

In regards to co2 tanks, is there a 'recommended' size? How many pounds / ounces can I expect to use on a 5 gallon keg?

CO2 lasts a long time. I think it's 1lb per 1/2 barrel keg (which is 15.5 gal.) So .3 lb CO2 per your keg. A 5lb bottle is fine unless it's really a pain to refill.

I have some sort of gigantic WW2 surplus thing, probably 15lb or more; I wonder if I'll ever need to refill it.

How active is the homebrewing community where you live? Definitely double check with craigslist to see if you can get it cheaper.

Edit: Or check Morebeer. Their deal today is "Pin Lock Cornelius Keg - Without Gaskets Replaced (Pin Lock)" for $24.95. If you buy this, some replacement gaskets, and other things that total over $59, you could get free s/h. Also, there are converters to ball lock. You didn't specify if you needed pin lock or ball lock though, but these seem like an economical choice.

fireworks instead of kegs?

30 years of beer containment vs. a couple of minutes of noise/lights & smoke.

To those here in the KC area, I did find cornys in loathe at 38, might be too far for you guys up north

Back