ALL grain batch help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpenfiel

Reaction score
I am trying to brew an all grain batch, of which I have no previous experience. I am malting buckwheat right now and am trying to do a simple grain/hope recipe to fully understand what the taste of the malted buckwheat is, but I am unsure as to how much malted buckwheat I would need in order to brew a full batch without the use of extracts. Also, If the buckwheat is hulled, what is the best way to remove the hull and then get the hull away from the seed inside, or is that necessary even?

I am trying to brew an all grain batch, of which I have no previous experience. I am malting buckwheat right now and am trying to do a simple grain/hope recipe to fully understand what the taste of the malted buckwheat is, but I am unsure as to how much malted buckwheat I would need in order to brew a full batch without the use of extracts. Also, If the buckwheat is hulled, what is the best way to remove the hull and then get the hull away from the seed inside, or is that necessary even?[/QU

In case others were wondering I have decided to do a few different all grain batches composed of malted quinoa (white and red), buckwheat, and millet. I have decided to do 2 lbs of grains per 1 gallon. Does anyone know if buckwheat has the enzymes necessary to mash? Updates to come to as to how they turn out, won't be for a couple weeks as they have just begun to sprout.

Wait. Am I reading this right? You are trying to brew an ALL GRAIN batch of beer, with no prior experience, and you are malting your own grain besides?

FYI - Malting your own is very rare, even by experienced brewers. More power to ya!

2005 study on buckwheat. Might be some info in the malting thread. http://www.scientificsocieties.org/jib/papers/2005/G-2005-1108-310.pdf

KevinM beat me to it :). You'll notice the large difference in the diastatic power of the buckwheat compared to barley. I would say this would result in potentially higher FG because of incomplete conversion of the starches by the insufficient amount of enzymes. It's possible that this could be overcome by the right mash regimen, but that's a lot to demand of your first attempt. I would attempt to do your best at malting and mashing but add some enzymes to increase your chances of conversion and work on refining your process on future brews.

Wait. Am I reading this right? You are trying to brew an ALL GRAIN batch of beer, with no prior experience, and you are malting your own grain besides?

FYI - Malting your own is very rare, even by experienced brewers. More power to ya!

Yeah I am trying to brew an all grain batch with just buckwheat, just quinoa (of both types), and millet. I plan on doing a simple hop schedule to get to know the full flavor of the grains before doing anything too complex. I don't like the taste of the sorghum extract that I got out of the previous brews and hope to eliminate that with all grain. I also was reading that adding tapioca would be good to increase the enzyme content since buckwheat doesn't have much? Anyone know?

It's actually fairly common here, you are in the gluten free forum. All grain brewing here is a lot different than elsewhere, and you usually have to dive into both simultaneously since there is no such thing as commercially malted gluten free grains.

Back