Artesian Well Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRNDRVR

Reaction score
I have an Artesian well about 2 miles from my house. This thing runs 24/7/365 and is in the parking lot of a grocery store. It's set up to where you can fill all the bottles you want at no charge. It's actually kind of cool and a very nice thing for the city to provide if you ask me.

Is there any known benefit to using this water as opposed to using bottled spring water or soft tap water? Maybe certain brews for this water?

I'm new and just getting started.

Just curious!

TIA,
Dan.

Any number of Midwest breweries advertise their use of artesian waters......

www.citybrewery.com and it all seems good. If the water is good to drink, it's good to brew.

If, in the future, you wanted to to get pretty specific as to type, you might want to get an analysis as to the mineral content, etc., but for now I say get to brewin'!

Skol!

SBN said:
If, in the future, you wanted to to get pretty specific as to type, you might want to get an analysis as to the mineral content, etc., but for now I say get to brewin'!

ditto! :mug:

Back when Old Style was still brewed in LaCrosse, WI, you could go to the brewery with as many jugs as you wanted and fill them with water there, too. I never got any, but it was supposedly the bast tasting water ever.

Semi hijack - Lacrosse Lager from City Brewery (the old G Heileman that brewed Old Style) tastes a bunch like the OLD Old Style, IMO.......

Skol!

Water softness isn't an issue, unless you are doing all-grain or have really bad water. Artesian is a way of obtaining water (you've drilling into a pressurized aquifer), not a measure of quality. My house water comes from artesian waters and has almost no minerals in it.

Sounds like this would be cheaper than buying water and it is less likely to have chlorine in it than tap water.

I assume this is the well near 800 South & 800 East.

I don't think too soft of water is a risk for for any well in Salt Lake County artesian or otherwise. BTW, all artesian means is that there is enough pressure in the aquifer to push the water up the well pipe (no pumping required).

Just make sure you boil the water well. I may be wrong but I don't think SLC treats the water from that well. SLC may have stats on the mineral content of the well. I'll see what I can find out over the next couple of days.

feedthebear said:
I assume this is the well near 800 South & 800 East.
This well is located in the Acres grocery store parking lot in North Ogden. I've really only done two brews so far. The first one with this well water and the second one with bottled spring water.

Still learning, still experimenting, and already upgrading.

Thanks,
Dan.

Ahh, then the link to SLC's artesian well won't work for you. I'll see what I can find on North Ogden's.

I've only done three brews. I half-and-half mine with our town's water and bottled water. I don't have a chiller yet so I partially freeze the bottled water to help me get my wort to pitching temperature.

The only issue is that you don't know the water composition. With city water you can get the annual assay. The great news is that there won't be any chlorine or chloramine or any other junk added to the water. I'd say brew with it and see how you like it. It will certainly be at least as good as local well water and almost certainly much better than city water.

You're right no chlorine or chloramine but I have seen some of the shallow artesian wells develop measurable concentrations of chloroform because chlorinated water was used for irrigation (lawn watering) in the recharge zone. That's happend to the SLC well I mentioned.

I'm sorry. I looked really hard and I can't find the stats for the North Ogden well on the web.

That water report gives you contaminants, and indicates the water is safe to drink, but doesnt indicate mineral content which is the info you need.

Back