Gelatin Usage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBChallenger

Reaction score
I know.. yet another gelatin thread. So here is my case (I did search btw) brewed up an Alaskan Amber Clone extract brew. No Irish Mos or anything like that during boil. Fermented for 7 days ten racked to a secondary. Added gelatin (recommended amount with warm water) to secondary after a day. The guy at the home brew shop said the gelatin should sit in for 2 weeks, is this true? I planned to leave the secondary for two weeks and then bottle condition for 3 weeks. I also have the ability to cold crash as the brew is in the secondary at room temp at the moment. Will the gelatin this early cause problems? Will I get the desired clearing effect? Should I cold crash for the last few days? Any advice is deeply appreciated. Thanks!!!

RB, I have too researched this topic. I can tell you what I did from some very smart brewers. I fremented for approx 7 days then racked to a secondary for another 7, then I stuck it in my fridge at about 30 deg for 2 to 3 days (cold crash). I then added my knox gelatin and left it in for another 2 days. It did clear up, but when I kegged it from the secondary and let it sit for a few more days after force carbing it. The first glass came out a little foggy but after that nice and crystal clear. I used one packet of gelatin per one pint. I think I would use 1/2 pint with 1/2 packet. A little goes a long way.

Brewer44

That is exactly what I thought I should have done. I will do this with my watermelon wheat and Irish Red, the question is... what to do with my Alaskan Amber that I added the gelatin to yesterday (after 1 day in secondary)?

What's done is done...no worries about the AA. I believe gelatin will work best when the beer is chilled. Finish fermentation, chill and then add gelatin.

Why are you trying to clear the Watermelon wheat? Most don't bother trying to clear a wheat beer.

I use half a pack of gelatin to a cup of water and gently stir it in one week before bottling. Great clear beer from the beginning.

What's done is done...no worries about the AA. I believe gelatin will work best when the beer is chilled. Finish fermentation, chill and then add gelatin.

Why are you trying to clear the Watermelon wheat? Most don't bother trying to clear a wheat beer.

That was a typo, the Irish Red will be cleared. The only clearing that will happen for the watermelon wheat is the conditioning in the secondary.

Back