Question About Sugar content in Port wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopsyKrett

Reaction score
I am making a blackberry port style wine and have gone through the fermentation and it is now in the secondary with the gelatin finings. I am wondering whether I can add additional sugars because it seems by the smell that the wine will be very dry. I of course dont want to re-ferment it, and in a week or so i will be ready to transfer for bulk aging and adding the brandy.

Will the wine conditioner sweeten it up enough with the brandy also, or will I/Can I add additional sugars at this next stage?

Thanks for any info!

What's the gravity? If it's .998 or below it has indeed fermented dry and you can add sorbate and potassium metabisulfite to stabilize and prevent renewed fermentation. Then you can backsweeten to the level you desire while adding your brandy.

The gravity is .992. What would u recommend to use to back sweeten with, the recipie says to add wine conditioner before i bottle would that be enough to take the dryness away combined with the little sugar already in the brandy?Thanks for your help.

I've always stabilized and added sugar syrup to mine, but I suppose wine conditioner would work. As I understand it, Wine Conditioner is a mixture of potassium metabisulfite, potassium sorbate and non-fermentable sugar already premixed. I've never used it but I'd guess the instructions are on the bottle.

Back