Holy Hops!! IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Want to do a double IPA for winter. I'll do this one when I kick a keg. Right now my pipeline is full.

I was going through my hops and discovered I have a pound and a half (each) of centennial and cascade pellets. Think 9 ounces of hops is enough?? :D Hmm, I have some cascade leaf hops too, I may have to build a hop randall for this beer...

Recipe: Holy Hops!! IIPA
Brewer: Eric
Asst Brewer: Jessie (the dog)
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.68 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 87.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs 4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40%
5 lbs 4 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 40 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 15 %
10.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 %
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort HoHops 37.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (20 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (20 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
2 Pkgs SafAle S-04 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 19.59 qt of water at 159.5 F 150.0 F

why mix the cascade and centennial up so much. would the flavor be that much different if you started with one, and finished with the other without hopping back and forth? seems kinda overly confusing to me.

I disagree, Cent and Cascade are highly compatible / complementing flavors. They'd work just fine! :D

You're in Texas, and you said you ain't brewing this immediately........ What about picking up a couple of oz of Riwaka from Austin Homebrew? It's described as "Riwaka's powerful grapefruit citrus characteristics are breathtaking." and "This hop is an excellent substitute for the West Coast "C" hops. Think Centennial, but not as harsh." (And their hops are on sale, today only, in case you didn't see the post!)

That could really be the way to tie the rest of this together.

But I LOVE your hopping schedule, and think your grain bill is teh tits. Love it love it love it.

The recipe looks good.

One thing I would maybe try with that many hops is all the hops be added 20 mins and under. If you havent done this before you will get an incredibly smooth bitterness. Plus you will increase the hop aroma and flavor because of the huge amount hops need to get the right bitterness.

Updated the recipe in the OP, I am finally going to brew this!

I will use 1oz of Horizon for 90, .5 oz of Centennial + .5oz Cascade at 20, and continuously hop for the last 20 minutes of the boil. I scaled it down a bit to a mere 1.076 OG :) and dropped the sucrose since I will be pitching onto a big fat third generation S-04 cake which is sure to dry this beast out.

Back