Black Hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Redefining the term:

http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2008/07/08/black-hole-now-a-racist-term/

" A special meeting about Dallas County traffic tickets turned tense and bizarre this afternoon.

County commissioners were discussing problems with the central collections office that is used to process traffic ticket payments and handle other paperwork normally done by the JP Courts.

Commissioner Kenneth Mayfield, who is white, said it seemed that central collections “has become a black hole” because paperwork reportedly has become lost in the office.

Commissioner John Wiley Price, who is black, interrupted him with a loud “Excuse me!” He then corrected his colleague, saying the office has become a “white hole.”

That prompted Judge Thomas Jones, who is black, to demand an apology from Mayfield for his racially insensitive analogy."

Discuss. :D

facepalm.jpeg

God not this crap again.

As a black man* I find this thread title incredibly offensive and demand that it is changed and a new apology thread is made.

*not really black

Are they going to force the scientific community to change the astronomical term as well? They sure don't look white to me.

People can be pretty stupid.

From this point forward I demand that I be referred to as a German-American. Call me anything else and I'll get Jesse Jackson (or in my case EdWort) involved - and you won't like the results.

People can be so mind numbingly stupid sometimes. How anyone of any intelligence can hear the term black hole and not know what it means is beyond me. To not know what it means and to think that it's a racial remark should be grounds for sterilization. For a judge to demand and apology should result in the judge being disbarred for his ignorance.

This is why I hate everyone.

But you folks are OK. :)

Lol. The thing that gets me is how far our justice system has gone into the dare I say "Black Hole"*. I mean seriously. Like I have said in the past, "Idiocracy" is the prophetic movie of our time. :D. I will go so far as to make a prediction that if the economic pressure continues in this nation, we'll see an uprising of sorts to equalize the nonsense that has a stranglehold on our nation.

*This statement in no way indicates, reflects or suggests any relation to the issues surrounding racial remarks, nor is HBT or its affiliates responsible for the comments and views of its members.

Uhhh wow just wow. Associating "Devil's food cake" with people of dark colored skin??? Angel's food cake with people with light colored skin? I mean is this really necessary.

Oh did you hear about the magazine editor in Atlanta that has forced the arm of the powers that be to remake all of the "Men at Work" signs to be gender neutral? :D And the taxpayers get to pay for that. :D

You know, people will continue to be the victim if they continue to play the victim.

That clip shows some serious ignorance. It's called a black hole because it's gravity is strong enough to bend light, and makes the area look BLACK, not because the hole is BAD. Geez, lighten* the frick up, Francis!

*that is 'lighten' as in less heavy, not 'lighten' as in less dark

Next thing you know he'll be suing the members of Soundgarden to change the name of one of their songs to "Dark Hole Sun" or some other stupid crap.

Next thing you know he'll be suing the members of Soundgarden to change the name of one of their songs to "Dark Hole Sun" or some other stupid crap.

Watching that clip made me want to do what the guy in your avatar is doing.

Those people should be forced to take a goddamned science class before they can continue with their jobs.

I'd just like to point out the fact that these are the people that are running our local, state, and fed govt. The mere idea that this could even occur within the confines of educated people is beyond me. This is like crap that i hear at the bar.

So, should the new term be "African-American Hole"?

No, it should be "a region of space in which the gravitational field is so powerful that nothing, not even light, can escape its pull after having fallen past its event horizon."

We are now required by law to use that term in place of "***** Hole".

Anyone that lives around here knows, that's just what John Wiley Price does. He is be far the most infamous congressman in Dallas county, and every couple months, he has some crazy racially charged comments on the news. Around here, we just don't listen to him anymore.

I'd just like to point out the fact that these are the people that are running our local, state, and fed govt. The mere idea that this could even occur within the confines of educated people is beyond me. This is like crap that i hear at the bar.

A lot of people here (D/FW) might not consider him (or a lot of Dallas' city council and commisioners) so educated. Dallas city council is like a cock fight, they don't know why they are doing it, and they get nothing out of it, but they just peck at eachother all day long. They tried to get people to stop sagging for god's sake, most violent crime in America, and they're worried about boxer shorts.

Sounds very American to me ;)

The scientific term is already "singularity", has been from the start too. The whole "black hole"-thing is just to make it a more palatable concept in popular science magazines.

Notwithstanding the fact that it would be equally racist of John Wiley Price to call the office a "white hole". How is it that black people often seem to get away with much more racism than white people? And isn't it time people got a sense of humor and tolerance?

Now, I'm not racist or homophobic, but this subject just got me thinking. I soon came to realise that I could think of absolutely no single context in which it would be possible today to be able to use the word "queer" without causing obvious offence to the gay population. I'm not bothered by that fact, and I have no reason to use that word when there are plenty of alternatives available. It just interested me to think that the meaning behind something that used to be such a mundane word has changed as the language evolves (or devolves) I wonder which word that we use commonly today will become a taboo word for tomorrow?

hehe... he said pink hole hehe

one of those knuckleheads was a judge too, elected officials... bwahahaha...

I realize this is a touchy subject but sometimes it just gets waaaay out of control. My wife had a corporate group cancel their dinner (read tens of thousands of dollars) because the corporate lawyer (female minority) toured the restaurant in Colonial Williamsburg and refused to eat there because of the "racist Confederate flag" supposedly hanging in the restaurant. Well folks, it turns out Confederate flags didn't exist in the 1700s and it was actually the British flag hanging on the wall. Even when presented with this fact, she refused to look at it again or discuss it further. So the British flag caused the entire corporate group to pay for the meal they didn't eat and then find dinner elsewhere. What a world we live in...

We should just remove the work from the english language so we can move on and people can complain about something else.

lol, pink hole

From this point forward I demand that I be referred to as a German-American. Call me anything else and I'll get Jesse Jackson (or in my case EdWort) involved - and you won't like the results.

People can be so mind numbingly stupid sometimes. How anyone of any intelligence can hear the term black hole and not know what it means is beyond me. To not know what it means and to think that it's a racial remark should be grounds for sterilization. For a judge to demand and apology should result in the judge being disbarred for his ignorance.

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation of all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities." [Teddy Roosevelt in a speech before the Knights of Columbus]

Seems that we have not learned a damn thing in 100years:confused::(

Back