Yeer returded- should of spelled it rite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
Can people please learn the difference between your and you're? I mean, come on, it really isn't that hard, but every time I see that mistake it pisses me off to no end.

I think your being a little hard on us, just lower you're expectations of our grammar, and you will find nirvana....

Sorry, I just had to juxtapose those.... :D

Oh shizzit, the grammar police has invaded HBT. Looks like they is going to muzzle us, confinscate ours hydrometers, and puts them RFID chips in my carboys.

I guess I need 10 characters :mug:

Lighten Up Francis.jpg

Just to clear up, I'm not talking about silly posts on message boards, but when people write things that are for work or school or for print.

OK, that makes sense but I wish you wouldn't have cleared it up, because we were having fun.

One thing I see alot that bugs me is when the news says someone was electrocuted, and is currently recovering in the hospital. Talk about a mis-used word.

OK, that makes sense but I wish you wouldn't have cleared it up, because we were having fun.

One thing I see alot that bugs me is when the news says someone was electrocuted, and is currently recovering in the hospital. Talk about a mis-used word.

"Alot" bugs me since it is clearly "a lot". Not really, I'm just busting chops...:p

the your / you're, their / there / they're stuff doesnt bother me as much as nuclear / "nukuler", or "carmel" / caramel, or ask / "axe" also "youse" and my dad gets pissed when he hears "Febuary" instead of February. The way I see it slight grammatical errors are not as bad as completely making up words.

"Alot" bugs me since it is clearly "a lot". Not really, I'm just busting chops...:p

I always type it that way, and it always gets nailed by spell check (except here, where I don't spell check).

Your just jealous of there ability to right proper words. I bet it gets growns when red and can take ours to reed. Happy Berth day and I hope you can sea the rite whey. :D

The way I see slight grammatical errors are not as bad as completely making up words.

I'll bet this chaps your axx then.

My oldest daughter is part Hawaiian and says axe instead of ask all the time. That bugs me to no end.

One of my least favorite thing's ever is apostrophe's use incorrectly to show plural's rather than possessive's.

I'm not rereading that or I swear I'll have a heart attack. My fingers hurt from typing it!

At least they had to do it twice, since the first time it didn't take.

I'd rather be re-tarded then just naturally tarded.

How about people that say, 'fustrated' instead of 'frustrated'. I agree though, a professionally made sign should be made with an adequate command of the english language. I've been known to edit handwritten signs in public that were written wrong.

I'll bet this chaps your axx then.

My oldest daughter is part Hawaiian and says axe instead of ask all the time. That bugs me to no end.

No offense to your daughter or anything, but when I hear someone say "Axe" all I can think is that they're an uneducated idiot. If I were a job interviewer, and someone said axe in an interview, I'd stop them and tell them to get the **** out of my office.

Muhahahaha. You should never reveal you're weakness's. :D

People also don't know how to use the apostrophe after the S. As in the plural possessive.
Or to use an instead of a.
or to and too

I mean you learn this stuff in grade school, and it should be part of your writing the rest of your life.

How about the local TV station claiming that "When news breaks, we are there live".

Oh, noes! I hates it when tha news breaks! Howeva will we fix it.

I mean you learn this stuff in grade school, and it should be part of your writing the rest of your life.

You don't teach college, do you? ;) My first semester teaching, I had them write papers. Ain't NO way I'm doing that again! It's astounding how badly they write, to the point of being completely incoherent. Spelling and grammar are the least of the problems.

You don't teach college, do you? ;) My first semester teaching, I had them write papers. Ain't NO way I'm doing that again! It's astounding how badly they write, to the point of being completely incoherent. Spelling and grammar are the least of the problems.

I have been a teaching assistant as a gradiot and I am convinced of the devolution of the English language. These are students trying to graduate with a 4 yr degree with bad grammar and spelling AND no coherence or structure to their writing. Best of luck in the world of work!

My biggest beef related to this is the abuse of the words and structure by business to make "cute" names for their product. This does not help young minds to absorb proper spelling of words! It is on product boxes, bottles, and cans!!!

Grammar is not taught the way it used to be. And many of us have fallen victim to the internet age which seems to discourage any form of proper speech or spelling. Unforunately it sucks that their are young adults out there who might be somewhat intelligent, but are going to miss out on something better in life because they come across as being stupid. My two adopted kids suffered through 6 and 10 years of the Hawaiian school system. There is no way I'm going to be able to totally make up for the education they lost by being pushed to the next grade year after year when they were in no way ready.

No, but I'm a senior. :)

I work with acronyms all day and play with idiots at night, oh,sorry, that's youse guyses...;)

Actually proper spelling is one of my peeves.

I really try to not make spelling mistakes, but sometimes my fingers become dyslexic...especially when they've been drinnking...:drunk:;)

Marketeers and the media, including MTV and oft used ebonics quotes, are large contributors of our national dumbing down problem. Governments can control the populous easier if they are not educated.

"Your" is a possessive pronoun...it belongs to you.

"You're" is a contraction of "you are".

Where's the difficulty?

Didn't anyone learn something before graduating high school? :mad:

Is it just me or did the title of this post get "turded" at some point.

I might have to digress my previous statement, I'd much perefer to be turded only once rather than twice.

Marketeers and the media, including MTV and oft used ebonics quotes, are large contributors of our national dumbing down problem. Governments can control the populous easier if they are not educated.

Didn't anyone learn something before graduating high school? :mad:

Populous = adjective

Populace = noun, and is the word you meant to use. :D

Wow, I love these threads!

If I had to choose one or the other I'd take coherent thoughts over good grammar, but as other people have pointed out most of the time you cant have either.

slightly off topic: One thing that always pissed me off in school was the minimum word requirement. If I can communicate a thought in one or two sentences that would take someone else ten sentences to write doesn't that make me the better writer?

What really gets my goat is when someone uses that slang word "pf" where the rest of the world uses the word "of". Kinda like..."what...you think your so good you can go using those fancy replacement werds that the rest of us dont no how to use???"

Happens all the time, you should be fine. During this phase pf fermentation so much stuff is coming out, it is hard for the bad stuff to get in, if that makes sense. You should really, REALLY try to get fermentation temp lower than 80*. Having the temp this high will, for most yeasts, lead to lots off off-flavors and crazy fermentation that could lead to blowouts - but you already know that last part now.

;););)

Latest posts

Back