i think i screwed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganm

Reaction score
after steeping my grains, i added my boiling hops directly to the grain bag w/out removing the grains first. was i supposed to do this or was i supposed to toss out the steeped grains before i started using the hops?

:mad:

ok, i removed the bag of grains with the boiling hops after 18 minutes into the boil and put the flavoring hops in 12 minutes early.

its a double IPA with lots of hops, so hopefully it still comes out ok. i still have finishing hops to add.

:(

morganm said:
is this beer going to taste like **** now?

As Denny said it may have a grainy bite to it, but I don't think it will taste terrible. Only time will tell. You never know, it may turn out to be the best beer you have ever drank. Relax, don't worry about it.

Well, it ain't going to be an IPA and it might be a bit grainy tasting.

Check out howtobrew.com

Boiling hops need to be in there for an hour or more. The Alpha acids (bittering) need to isomerize in the wort. Flavoring (beta acids) boil off after a few minutes.

Worth bottling this anyway. Can't hurt and you'll learn things along the way.

What was the original recipe? I'll try and figure out you IBU's.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Well, it ain't going to be an IPA and it might be a bit grainy tasting.

Check out howtobrew.com

Boiling hops need to be in there for an hour or more. The Alpha acids (bittering) need to isomerize in the wort. Flavoring (beta acids) boil off after a few minutes.

Worth bottling this anyway. Can't hurt and you'll learn things along the way.

What was the original recipe? I'll try and figure out you IBU's.

This is the kit: http://***********/recipe/1655.html

as stated, i got the grains out after 18 minutes, but the boiling hops also came out early.

thanks for the help, i REALLY appreciate your time.

Morgan

By The flavoring hops you put in 12 min early, was that the 30 min addition? I see that recipe calls for a 60min, 30min and end of boil addition.

Based on that recipe and having boiled the bittering hops for only 18 min and the 30 min additon for 42 minutes and assuming the end of boil and dryhops are as per recipe, then you will have around 85 IBU's!

Still a very bitter beer with less flavor impact than the original recipe. That said this recipe has a number of end of boil and dry hops so it will still work out fine. And definitely still a bitter IPA with substantial flavor.

You might not even notice the astringency from grain tannins much since this beer is very bitter/hoppy anyway. Just let this one age a while. You should do that with a beer this hoppy anyway. Aging will mellow out this beer and also mellow out the tannins.

+1 for waiting it out and hoping for the best...

I committed several errors during my first brewing session (including spilling vodka into the wort), and I was convinced that my beer was going to turn out horrible. I was surprised when the beer turned out very, very well.

Even if it doesn't turn out as good as you would like, I'm sure it will still be very drinkable and you'll do better next time. Keep us posted.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
By The flavoring hops you put in 12 min early, was that the 30 min addition? I see that recipe calls for a 60min, 30min and end of boil addition.

Based on that recipe and having boiled the bittering hops for only 18 min and the 30 min additon for 42 minutes and assuming the end of boil and dryhops are as per recipe, then you will have around 85 IBU's!

Yes, I was supposed to put the flavoring hops in at 30 minutes and I put them in at 42 minutes. (thinking this may compensate for lost hops that came out with the grains at 42 minutes) Then I added the end hops at 2 minutes.

Noob question: what are IBU's and judging by the exclamation, im guessing 85 is high?

Thanks again everyone. The batch appears to have come out ok.

morganm said:
Yes, I was supposed to put the flavoring hops in at 30 minutes and I put them in at 42 minutes. (thinking this may compensate for lost hops that came out with the grains at 42 minutes) Then I added the end hops at 2 minutes.

Noob question: what are IBU's and judging by the exclamation, im guessing 85 is high?

Thanks again everyone. The batch appears to have come out ok.

Here is the wiki definition/explanation of IBU http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bitterness_Units_scale

Revvy said:
I won't ask:D

Hah! I wish I had a funny and hilarious story for it. I transported my full carboy into the garage with the airlock on, and it was filled to the brim with vodka. When I got there, it was almost all gone. LOL, I guess it is kind of funny in a n00b'ish way. I won't make that mistake again.

I am planning on screwing up on purpose on my next few batches, just so I can see how different things effect the taste of the beer.

I'm going to write down what I did wrong and what I did or didn't like about it, and eventually just take what I learn and make a super beer.

Back