Hopped Mead--Tej

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talcottsk

Reaction score
I've eard about this mead called Tej--ethopian mead which has hops in it--anyone even seen a reipe for it that migt specify how much and what kind of hops? I'm trying to make a hopped cider, and I hope this information can help me get some idea about how i should go about adding hops

Crucial research! My drinking future depends upon it!

:ban: I also just put this here because I thik its fun

Talcottsk said:
I've eard about this mead called Tej--ethopian mead which has hops in it--anyone even seen a reipe for it that migt specify how much and what kind of hops? I'm trying to make a hopped cider, and I hope this information can help me get some idea about how i should go about adding hops

Crucial research! My drinking future depends upon it!

:ban: I also just put this here because I thik its fun

There's info on this link about Ethiopian brews - http://healthlinks.washington.edu/ethnomed/cultures/ethiop/ethiop_foods.html

Don't know where you'll find gesho from though! Good luck!

Allright, check this out. I got this book called Winners Circle, it's winning homebrew recipes from the AHA's national competition, and in the mead section there's a lot of recipes from the "early days" of organized American homebrewing using hops. Most of the recipes seem to use about an ounce of hops for five gallons, Fuggles or Cascades. One recipe used Hallertaus. I'd imagine it might work similar for cider, maybe use a little less... Cascade would be the first hops I'd think of using, with that citrusy flavor it might complement the cider flavor well.

Back