Help me with my purchasing decisions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmug

Reaction score
I've decided that its time to buy a kegerator. I've just started looking into whats exactly needed and I have some questions:

1. What is the difference between ball lock and pin lock?
  2. Is Perlick worth the upgrade?
  3. Are there differences in types of taps? If so explain please.
  4. Is there anywhere I could buy a pre-assembled kegerator with 2 or 3 taps?
  5. Would it be significantly cheaper to buy a fridge and convert it myself? How much in savings usually?
  6. Any reviews on refrigerators themselves? I've read some nasty comments on websites about certain fridges not getting cold enough. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Seems the biggest difference in price is due to the refrigerator it self. Anyone of these good or bad?

1. Kegco
  2. Haier
  3. Danby
  4. Summit

The height and width are different as well as the QD's (quick disconnects) Only if you get a 425, 525, or 575 which seal forward the 408 and 410 are standard rear sealing and subject to sticking. Yes, but cost a lot more Can always go the chest freezer route. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88494&stc=1&d=1355522799

DSCN1072.jpg

1) One was used by Coke, the other by Pepsi. They both function the same, they just have different disconnects that hook up to them (the plastic piece that connects the keg to the beer/gas line). They also have slightly different dimensions, but they're both 5 gallons. Personally, I prefer pin lock because they tend to run $10-$20 cheaper than ball lock right now.
2) Yes. They work soo much better than the cheap ones. If you can afford them, buy them.
3) For homebrew corny kegs, the only difference is ball lock vs pin lock.
4) Yes, but you save a lot of money assembling yourself. Example, Walmart sells one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-6.0-Cubic-Foot-Kegerator-Beer-Dispenser-Refrigerator/15162475
5) I'd recommend picking up a cheap chest freezer on Craigslist. I got myself a 13 cuft for $50. I can fit 10 cornies in it. With a freezer, you just need a temperature controller to shut off the compressor once it gets to the desired temperature.
6) Again, check Craigslist. You can save a lot of money. I'd definitely recommend this route.

I have both pin and ball lock kegs.
After reading on here... many, many threads.... I ordered the Perlicks- they will be here next week and I can't wait!!!
I had a free fridge just sitting around (top freezer type). So, I just used this. If I didn't have a free fridge, I can tell you I would buy a chest freezer and convert it to a keezer. The fridge is nice, but tight and somewhat annoying to deal with. I think the open top keezer would be SO nice!
Hope that helps!

Thanks but how much of saving are we talking about?

Depends way to much on how handy you are, how nice you want it to look, how many taps and type etc. Hell buddy did his for 78 bucks. Ice maker line paintball co2 a pair of QD's and a picnic tap and a dorm fridge found on side of road.

Back