Overflowing Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylebenton

Reaction score
I made 1800 ml of wort at 1.040 in my 2 liter flask, pitched a vial of WLP001 and placed it on my stir plate. It was covered loosely with sanitized aluminum foil. After about 24 hours I came home to find that it was foaming over and making a mess. I make starters all the time and have never had this happen. Is this going to be a problem, and how should I avoid this in the future? I am thinking I may need a larger flask for starters of this size.

Two things:
- don't make a first step starter greater than about 1.25L in a 2L flask without fermcap. I often go to 1.8L on second step starters in a 2L flask with 4 drops fermcap. It still foams though, so it requires monitoring but is doable.
- your yeast kicks ass. Salvage what is left and make a new starter if you can.

It's happened to me with WY3068 - that thing was a monster! And yes, a larger flask will help with the mess in the future.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to get some fermcap. I usually make 1200ml starters, I made this one larger because I wanted to harvest some of the yeast before I pitched.

If you don't use fermcap, just be mindful of the yeast being used and give it enough room to work. I made the mistake of making a 2.5L starter of 3787 in a 3L flask on a stir plate. NEVER DO THAT!

So I'm confused. I have not had any appreciable foam on a starter because, I assume, the stirring action keeps the bubbles knocked down. But I only have made a 1 liter starter so far; does this effect change as the flask gets more full?

Steve

yso191 said:
So I'm confused. I have not had any appreciable foam on a starter because, I assume, the stirring action keeps the bubbles knocked down. But I only have made a 1 liter starter so far; does this effect change as the flask gets more full?

Steve

It really depends on the yeast and yes, as you get closer up the neck of the flask the risk becomes greater.

+1 on the fermcap. I do 2L starters in a 2L flask. One drop of fermcap and no foam at all. It also lets me boil in the flask without boil over.

Steve

Take that 1L and step it up again, and you'll see what we mean.

Back